Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive filling up - don't know why - please help.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mary3

Mary3

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

Running Windows 7 Home Premium.  Have a 453 gb drive.  Don't have anything that should use that much space.  My husband's computer had a problem with Kaspersky continuing to create files and filled up the hard drive and crashed it. Cost money to get the computer back up.  I haven't had any problem until now.  If Kaspersky is doing this to me, where can I look to find out if that is what's happening. 

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grimmskld

Grimmskld

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:21 AM

Try getting rid of Kaspersky and give a free AV a shot.  TBH, no matter how good you think an anti-virus/malware product is, there will always be something that finds a way to get past it.  There's Microsoft security essentials, AVG, Avast, or Ad-aware.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

Download WinDirStat and see what is filling up your drive and if it is Kaspersky. Sometimes malware can fill disk space but Kapserksy is very good at catching Malware. One of the best.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windirstat/

#4 Mary3

Mary3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

Grimmskld - Thank you for the comments.  Got rid of Kaspersky and that did the trick.  I don't know what free AV is, though.  Please explain.

#5 Mary3

Mary3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

JohnC_21 - Thank you SO much for the info on WInDirStat!  Downloaded it and saw that Kaspersky had most of my had drive used.  Couldn't have done it without you!  Got Rid of Kaspersky and have lots more room.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

Grimmskld - Thank you for the comments.  Got rid of Kaspersky and that did the trick.  I don't know what free AV is, though.  Please explain.

He's talking about using a free anti virus as opposed to Kaspersky which is a paid product.

#7 Mary3

Mary3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

Oh!  Thanks frankp316.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users