Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ram for my old laptop

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_IStillWork_*

Guest_IStillWork_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:05 AM

First off, let me just say I'm very ignorant when it comes to these sorta things.

I have a 2010 Toshiba laptop Intel Core i3 & it came with 2 DDR3 Rams. The first is 2 GB & the Second is 1GB

I tried putting an 8GB Ram in the 1GB's place while leaving the 2GB inside as well, but the laptop wouldn't start (froze during start screen multiple times). Then I tried the 8GB Ram alone & it still wouldn't work (NOTE:They weren't Samsung rams). Eventually, I had to settle for a Samsung DDR3 4GB Ram instead of the 1 GB, as other manufacturers apparently don't work on this laptop

My laptop now operates with a 4GB & a 2GB Ram. Will it work if replace the 2GB Ram with a 4?

Edited by IStillWork, 18 July 2014 - 07:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

2*4gb should work fine. I am not certain if your computer supports single dimm 8GB sticks, likely it does not if it was having problems posting. It is also possible you got a bad 8GB stick.

The question I have for you is what are you going to be doing with the computer? 6GB is more than enough for most users. I have 8GB total and have never used more than 6GB even while rendering 3D videos with an i7. I suppose if you have photoshop, adobe premier, Maya (3d modeling software) and a few other high intensity programs open and running at the same time, you might make use of more than 6GB of ram.

Side notes: most games do not use more than 2GB of ram in my experience. Also to actually use your extra ram, make sure you are running a 64bit operating system. If you are only 32 bit windows, you will not be able to use more than 4GB.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Guest_IStillWork_*

Guest_IStillWork_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

How much can it handle?

I open run programs at once, that is why.

Attached Files

Edited by IStillWork, 18 July 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

It is a 64bit OS so it will recognize and use more than 4GB. If you give me the exact Model number on the laptop, I may be able to determine how much the laptop can use.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Guest_IStillWork_*

Guest_IStillWork_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:56 AM

Where can I find that?

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

It should be on the bottom, it may say for example: t4501-su467

#7 Guest_IStillWork_*

Guest_IStillWork_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

Here

Attached Files

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

The model number is on the bottom of the laptop, you will have to pick it up, turn it over, and write down the numbers from a sticker on the bottom. The picture only shows very general information.

#9 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

He meant at the bottom of the computer. As in the model number of your physical computer. System only shows vendor/manufacturer and other system information.

mYIGVc5.png

#10 Guest_IStillWork_*

Guest_IStillWork_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

Pick one serial number...

Attached Files

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

According to Crucial which I trust your maximum memory amount is 8GB: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Toshiba/satellite-l655-142

For best performance 2 * 4gb sticks, one 4gb stick in each slot would be ideal.

#12 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

http://www.toshiba.co.il/en/discontinued-products/satellite-l655-142/

Your mobo will support maximum 8GB of RAM; therefore, you can replace both sticks with 4GBs.

Edit: Zingo beat me :(

Edited by Ezzah, 18 July 2014 - 08:33 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#13 Guest_IStillWork_*

Guest_IStillWork_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

Thanks you two :) Ideal help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users