Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing; persistent issue over 2 years.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mottely

Mottely

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:14 AM

So here's a brief history. In June, three years ago, I built a new computer. The specs were as followed.

Intel i3-2120, 3.3 GHz

EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (2 GB)

Biostar H61MH Mobo

4 GB of Corsair RAM

TL-WN781ND Network card

Windows 7 Home Premium

Now here's  where the freezing comes in. For the first two or so years, I paid no attention to the computer freezing. I just kind of figured that it was happening like a normal thing that happens to computers. I obviously was wrong, but then I was young and stupid. What happens when the computer freezes however is what throws me off:

The screen just freezes. Everything stays the same, I just lose control. My hard drive light shuts off entirely. No more input. Nothing. I also noticed that it was particulary at risk when I was using the network heavily. Downloading something at a high speed generally caused it to freeze. It stayed that way for a few years, until about a month ago, when I ordered almost entirely new parts. The specs for the new parts are as followed.

Intel i7-4770K, 3.4 GHz

EVGA GeForce GTX 760 (4 GB)

ASRock Fatal1ty Mobo

16GB of Corsair VengeanceRAM

I figured that the old freezes must have just been a hardware compatibility issue and that the new parts would possibly fix it. I was wrong. While it didn't freeze for a solid day or two, once Windows installed all 120-something of it's updates, it started again. I figured that at this point it must have been something like a hard disk drive issue, as the light completely shut off and it stopped reading data from the drive. So I went out and bought a new HDD. Freezes still happened. Fast forward to yesterday. The freezes seemed to be in check, but then I moved my computer to the bottom story of my house. Further away from the router. The reason this matters is because as my internet connection worsened, the freezes got more and more consistent. This is leading me to believe that it may have something to do with my network card and/or the driver installed by Windows? At the moment, trying to watch a Twitch.tv stream will GUARANTEE a freeze. I've tested it. Any ideas on what this might be?

P.S. I also believe that it may be a power supply issue. Upon viewing the Windows Event Viewer, at the time of the freezes, I get a critical error with the parameter of "Kernel-Power".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

Have you read Event ID 41 ?

Moved to Internal Hardware forum.

Louis

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

When the computer "freezes" is it just the browser stream that is freezing? Can you still do other things on the computer? It is completely normal for tv streams to "freeze" or stop and buffer then play again.

I have slow internet, no way around it, I live in the country. Netflix will stop and buffer for about 5 minutes every 10 minutes. They no longer allow the entire episode to buffer so I have to deal with it.

If the computer is completely freezing, as in you can not do anything with mouse or keyboard, you may have a hardware issue. Any hardware you moved from the old machine to the new one would likely be suspect. The power supply may be causing all of the issues so it would be worth testing with a new one if that wasn't replaced with the new build.

Edited by zingo156, 18 July 2014 - 10:20 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

Does everything freeze entirely, and is your only option to stop this, from restarting? 

Also, when you ordered the new parts, were you still using the same HDD (as in this HDD was just switched over)?

mYIGVc5.png

#5 Mottely

Mottely
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

So the Kernel-Power error is just due to me having to forcefully shut the system down?

And to answer your questions:

The entire computer is freezing. All audio (I'm usually in a voice call with friends which is how I can tell) stops and I can no longer do anything. The hard drive light also completely stops blinking.

When I ordered the new parts, I originally moved the old HDD to the new system, but I replaced it a few days later with a brand new one.

Does it seem like my best bet would be to order a new power supply and see if that fixes anything?

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

If the power supply is from the old system I would try with a new one or known good psu.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

Oh I forgot to mention, first I would remove that network card and try without that.

#8 Mottely

Mottely
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

If I removed the network card though, I wouldn't be able to test the issue. I don't have a way of wiring my computer into the network via ethernet.

I'll see what I can do, and then order a new power supply and try it out once I get back from the vacation that I'm leaving for tomorrow. Thanks!

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

It would likely be cheaper to order a new network card than power supply. How big is your current psu, or rather what is the total output in watts and what brand is it?

Because the freezing continued to the new pc, I would put money on it being related to one of the parts that was moved from the old pc. Since it seems to freeze doing network related work, I am more suspect of the wireless card.

#10 Mottely

Mottely
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

I have a Thermaltake 600W PSU.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

I am not aware of any known issues with those psu's and it should be enough power. If it were me, due to the fact that networking appears to always cause a freeze, I would replace the network card first. Luckily it will be the cheaper part to start with. New wireless cards are generally pretty low cost.

Edited by zingo156, 18 July 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#12 Mottely

Mottely
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

Alright, I'll look at em. Do you know of any benefits/issues brought on by using a USB network adapter?

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

I had a usb network adapter that had intermittent lag spikes while gaming. If you do not run games, the new ones are fast and actually have pretty good signal strength.

I tend to use internal cards and buy antennas that can be moved to optimize signal strength.

#14 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

USB network adapters are very slow. I would not recommend them, as I have had experience with them myself, when I had no other choice for a short while. You will die from slowness. 

Seeing as the issue starts with your network, your external network card could be the cause of the issue. They are relatively cheap to replace, about 20 bucks or so.

mYIGVc5.png

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:03 AM

USB network adapters are very slow. I would not recommend them, as I have had experience with them myself, when I had no other choice for a short while. You will die from slowness. 

Seeing as the issue starts with your network, your external network card could be the cause of the issue. They are relatively cheap to replace, about 20 bucks or so.

Glad I never bothered with one of those, was tempted to at one time, Newegg had a Shell Shocker on one, had it in my basket & backed out at the last minute. It wasn't so much of that the 4 & 5 egg reviewers had to say, but rather what the 1-3 egg reviewers were saying. Much the same thing. Flaky Internet connections, especially at times of heavy use. 

Unacceptable for what's supposed to be a Gigabit connection via USB. 

If these were so good, more consumers would have these. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users