Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to save photos that I downloaded

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ptiinc

ptiinc

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:40 PM

Hi to all Tech's

I,m running Windows 7 Home, & I have over 1000 photos that I have downloaded.

I would like to use the "restore my windows to its original version that came with my PC"

I don't have an external HD or use any backup or cloud service.

Is there any way I can do this system restore without loosing my photo's?

also, I, am using Google Chrome, as my main browser

in the past, have used both Firefox & IE

So I now have bookmarks using Chrome, and have imported bookmarks from Firefox

and favorites from from IE

is there a way to be able to save the bookmarks and favorites..when I restore my PC

to tits original windows.

I have another laptop that works fine, but not using..

alsi I have google+ and use gmail..if this will help at all.

as always, Thanks so much in advance!

BOB K.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:10 AM

I don't have an external HD or use any backup or cloud service.

You should consider purchasing an external HD [relatively inexpensive] or a USB Flash Thumb Drive [inexpensive] to copy/paste your files to. You mention 1000's of pics so if you buy a thumb drive be sure it's of adequate size. Test it first. Everyone should have one or the other. Having both is even better.

Alternatively, you could perhaps, depending on your experience & comfort level, create a new partition on your hard drive that you could copy your files to. That partition would remain untouched when you reinstall windows. A popular tool for partitioning is Easeus. It's freeware, user friendly & you can get it from here: http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm  Last, you could start burning your pics to DVD, but it would require several Discs at the least.

As to backing up your Chrome favorites & settings: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/96816?hl=en

Edited by saw101, 18 July 2014 - 02:13 AM.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 ubuzz

ubuzz

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

Agree on the external storage.  You really should try to backup your pictures to another device (external hard drive, USB thumb drive, DVD's) in the event of a hard drive failure.

#4 ptiinc

ptiinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

Thanks' for your advice !

My initial question, was somewhat misleading. I meant to say.

I would like to restore my PC to it's original factory settings.

also, about 8 months ago, I bought a Western Digital- Passport,  500 gig external HD

Now the problem I,m having is setting up this HD..so I can transfer my pictures.

I have been in touch with one of their tech's for the following reason.

when I first tried to set it up, I needed to go to their site and there are quite a few downloads avaiable.

the thing is..they don't tell you which one's are the basic one's you need to start, 

so i downloaded all 5 of them, then its a guessing game as to which one to open.

then, there isn't any quick tour on how to setup or download a specific item..

so i removed all WD downloads and asked the WD tech what downloads do i need to get started.

he sent me a site from their website, low and below..it was the same download site i found by myself..

i had already explained to him, the instructions are way to complicated, and inconsistent, 

for something as simple for what i needed it for. i also went on their customer blog site to see if other customers 

had any answers..most of them were having the same issues..

Now I have to say' I,m not totally illiterate, when it comes to following instructions regarding 

things trying understand my PC..but this WD passport is rediculous..

I,m not crying about it' just figured I'd find another way to same my photos & bookmarks.

#5 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

Sounds like what you really need is a basic 'Dumb Hard Drive.' A simple plug it in & manually copy files to it. WD has numerous models of the My Passport with features than many do not initially need. I have an older 500 GB passport that I use more like a thumb drive than anything else. I simply needed basic storage.

At this point my recommendation would be to go with a quality thumb drive with sufficient storage space to hold all your files & then some. I've had very good service with my Patriot 16GB drive & checking on NewEgg I see it is now available in USB 3 for $17.00.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#6 ptiinc

ptiinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

Saw 101' your answer' is exactly what I will do!

Simple & straight to the point...

Thanks man!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

If you have another system...you can simply network the two systems and move the graphics, etc. to the other system...permanently or temporarily.

Or simply save the photos to DVD.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2014 - 03:25 PM.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

I have a WD My Passport Ultra portable external 1 TB hard drive and I don't use any of WD's downloads

I have created folders on it and one of them is Pictures

I copy the pictures in my Win7 Library and then paste them into the external WD hard drive Pictures folder

--- Actually I created a batch file to do that since it's a one-click process

I have done the same for some of my friends when they have to save their data including pictures when they do things on their computers and are concerned their backup/restore procedures don't work properly for them

I believe you can do the same with Windows 7 built in backup system

I don't use Windows 7 built in backup system anymore as I use Macrium Reflect for backup/restore in case I should ever need it but I like to include the copy/paste procedure also

So if you can put your Western Digital- Passport,  500 gig external HD to good use in a way that suits you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users