Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop computer receives power but won't boot.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrAndersonn

MrAndersonn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

Today my Acer Desktop (AM3970-EB12P, Windows 7) shut off while I was using it and restarted automatically. 5 minutes later it shut off again and restarted automatically, however it did not boot up. The only thing working are the fans which have sped up. When I shut it off and turn it back on, the same thing happens, it doesn't boot and the fans go really fast. I've been going through tutorials, but nothing has helped. Looking for any way to salvage this machine. Does anyone know some possible fixes I could try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

Is the screen blank? Nothing at all? So the fans turn on only? This may be a graphics issue, perhaps your GPU has died?

mYIGVc5.png

#3 MrAndersonn

MrAndersonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

That could be it. I removed the GPU and the fans went back to normal speed. I will replace it and see.

#4 MrAndersonn

MrAndersonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

I installed a new video card, but that hasn't solved the issue. I'm still getting nothing on my monitor. Could there be a problem with the motherboard?

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

If you have integrated video, does it work? Because if you do, then when the vid-card died, it may have taken the expansion slot with it. Do you have another expansion slot you can use?

#6 MrAndersonn

MrAndersonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

Took it to a friend who works at Geek Squad. Said the processor is fried and offered to recycle it. Recommended purchasing a new one from Newegg. :(

#7 Ocsi'c

Ocsi'c

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

I have seen many computers that appear to start (lights on, fans spin) but actually do not post (screen stays blank) when the power supply is bad. Do you have one you can try as a replacement?

#8 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:13 AM

A fried CPU should not turn the computer on at all? As in, nothing should work...

mYIGVc5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users