Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in limbo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Heislegend86

Heislegend86

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

Hello,
I own a PC with windows 8.1 and was attempting to boot into safe mode. Now my monitor says out of range. I cannot get into safemode or normal mode and I am stuck. I'll turn on the PC and hold shift+f8 and it brings up a startup menu but can't seem to get the monitor working.
I've tried 2 other monitors and get the same response, also tried messing with settings on monitor but did not have an option to tweak display settings. Not sure if this is the right place to post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Echokrush

Echokrush

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

You'll need to enable low-resolution video in Windows 8.1. This guide tells you how to do it. Scroll down on the page to find Windows 8.1 and follow the instructions. Let us know if that helps you.

#3 Heislegend86

Heislegend86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

I see in the guide what I'm suppose to do but I cannot get to that screen.
The only screen I can access is a blue startup menu with options like: continue startup, diagnostics,boot menu and things of that nature.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:19 AM

I do not have Windows 8.1 but the guide submitted by echokrush looks pretty good and it states In Windows 8/8.1, the good old F8 key trick does not work anymore

It appears to me you need to get into recovery or repair options and there are screenshots to help you see what to look for

You say “The only screen I can access is a blue startup menu with options like: continue startup, diagnostics,boot menu and things of that nature”

--- To me this is where to start but we need to know the exact options you have in order to move forward

It looks like you should be able to work from either the Recovery blue screen or the Automatic repair blue screen

Some questions: what was the original problem that led you to attempt to boot into Safe Mode?

In normal use, were you using VGA or an installed video card?

Can you go to the manufacturers website and burn the video driver to CD in case it becomes handy for you to use?

#5 Heislegend86

Heislegend86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:48 AM

Here is a pic of what I see: http://m.imgur.com/RuWutfV

I found out that I have a virus that requires user to boot into safemode to remove.

In Normal use I use a VGA and have stock video card.

At the moment I don't a have another computer to use to burn the video driver but can get access to one if needed.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:06 AM

Makes sense. I haven't had to use it myself but it appears to me Kaspersky Rescue disk http://www.kaspersky.com/virus-scanner might be helpful. There are other similar tools available but that would take some research as I haven't run into that situation yet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users