Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Troubles

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 polekat

polekat

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:08 AM

I've been having real trouble with this PC for a few days now. When I try to start it I sometimes get an error which says -

iexplore.exe - application error

The instruction at "0x7dc99cde" referenced memory at "0x01914454". The memory could not be "written".

I have also seen the error code 0x8b90901d. Tried searching Google but nothing came up. I'm also having great trouble actually getting onto the internet - keep getting "server could not be found".

Anybody got any idea what's going on here? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Polekat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:19 AM

For troubleshooting, I suggest downloading and installing Firefox. This is an alternate browser. You can download it from here:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Once you have this happen with IE:

I'm also having great trouble actually getting onto the internet - keep getting "server could not be found".

Open Firefox and see if FireFox connects at the same website that IE did not.

This step will teach us a great deal.

Some people like using Firefox, even more than using IE. I am not one of them, as I happen to like IE. So I wanted to be clear that I am not neccessarily recommending that you switch to Firefox. I just think it would be helpful to know if a different browser works where IE fails in this case. Then we can work on 'repairing' the issue.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 31 May 2006 - 06:21 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 polekat

polekat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for that. I've downloaded and installed firefox and it seems to be working ok, but so is explorer just at the moment. That's part of the problem........ this problem with not being able to connect to the internet is intermittent. One minute it connects easily and quickly, the next it just won't connect at all.

I forgot to mention that when this PC won't start and comes up with the error code I can start it in safe mode and restore the system to how it was a few days ago and it will then start normally but the problem with the internet still persists.

Thanks

Polekat

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:35 AM

when this PC won't start and comes up with the error code

Write down this error message in it's totality, word for word, and post it here. This is a big clue.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 polekat

polekat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:50 AM

The error code is just as I wrote above. That's all it says. There is an option to cancel or debug but whichever I click on it just causes the PC to restart and then it just comes up with the same error again.

Polekat

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:07 AM

Ok, now I get it. Perhaps I need another cup of coffee this morning! :thumbsup:

I will research this for you and will get back to you. Of course, others here at BC may beat me to the punch!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:53 AM

It appears this type of error message can have several causes. It can be a 'bug' in the way Windows works, a conflict with certain software, a hardware problem, or a malware infection.

So let's start looking for a solution by doing the easiest thing, that is editing your boot.ini file.

FIRST
Make a copy of your boot.ini file so we can change it back if this 'fix' does not work for you.
  • Start
  • right click on My Computer
  • Properties
  • Advanced tab
  • Startup and Recovery 'Settings'
  • hit the EDIT button
This will open your boot.ini file.

NEXT
Copy the contents.
  • cntl + A (to select all)
  • cntl + C (to copy highlighted text)
NEXT
Go to:
  • Start
  • Run
  • type notepad
  • cntl + V (to paste copied text)
  • File
  • Save as...
Save the file to a convenient place, such as your desktop, and name it something obvious, like bootinibackup

NEXT
Edit your original boot.ini file.
  • Start
  • right click on My Computer
  • Properties
  • Advanced tab
  • Startup and Recovery 'Settings'
  • hit the EDIT button
This will open your boot.ini file.

Look for this part /noexecute=optin OR /noexecute=optout and change it to /noexecute=AlwaysOff
  • File
  • Save
  • Reboot
See if the problem goes away. If the issue persists, change your boot.ini file back to the way it was before, and we will go on to the next step.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 polekat

polekat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:19 AM

Don't quite know what you did there Albert but the PC has rebooted without any error codes coming up :thumbsup:

Firefox is working well but IE is still a bit hit or miss, sometimes it will connect and sometimes it won't.

Thanks for your help.

Polekat :flowers:

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:16 AM

If the problem returns use Windows System Restore to return your computer to a system state that existed before the problem began.

start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:10 AM

Ok, polecat, we are making progress!

Next I am going to recommend following the Preparation Guide to posting a High Jack This log. Please only follow the instructions down to the point where you download and use HiJackThis. You do not have to download or use HiJackThis, at least not at this point, I don't think it is warranted yet.

The idea behind this is to see if you have any malicious software on your computer, and most computers that are acting buggy do!

PREPARATION GUIDE

Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#11 polekat

polekat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

Thanks for the advice - I'll do it later as I've gotta go to work now :thumbsup:

Polekat

#12 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:58 PM

Don't quite know what you did there Albert but the PC has rebooted without any error codes coming up

You have disabled DEP (Data Execution Prevention).
If you go to the advanced tab in system properties, then click the "settings" button under "performance",, then select the "Data Execution Prevention" tab, you will see the options greyed out with none selected.
I disable this on my XP systems too but it does have a security risk. :thumbsup:
On the other hand, it gets in the way of some legit stuff that XP wouldn't normally let you install or run, which is why I kill it.

Edited by HitSquad, 31 May 2006 - 04:00 PM.

#13 polekat

polekat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:52 AM

OK...... this is the current situation. The PC has now stopped coming up with the error codes on start up :thumbsup: but last night I was unable to connect to the internet at all. Tried three different browsers (IE, Firefox & Opera) but no way was it going to connect.

I've done all the Spybot, Ad-aware and AVG stuff. It seems like when internet traffic is fairly light (like now) I can connect quite easily but when it gets busy I can't. I can't understand what's going on here at all so I'm hoping you guys can help.

Polekat

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:26 AM

The very first thing to do to troubleshoot connectivity problems is to reboot the cable/dsl modem, the router (if you have one) and the computer.

99% of the time that restores connectivity.

After you unplug and disconnect everything, ground out the end of the cable for ten seconds, then attach it back to the cable modem, attach the cable modem to the router (if you have one in the system) and then attach the router to the computer.

Then, plug the cablemodem in first (watch the lights until the data light comes on and flashes), then the router, then power up the computer.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 June 2006 - 07:28 AM.

#15 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:02 PM

Also, make SURE your internet service provider is supplying the internet at the moment. I can't tell you the number of service calls I have been on where the only problem was the internet was 'down' at the moment, or the customer had not paid their internet bill!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users