Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need options to restore XP pro or recover data

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brianmargo67

brianmargo67

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

Hi there!

I have an HP NCC6400 laptop that is running WIndows XP professional.

I bought the laptop preloaded with XP pro and do NOT have any of the installation discs etc.

Due to registry problems (like an idiot, I tried a self-fix with registry entries and deleted/altered entries I shouldn't have) the keyboard and mousepad are unresponsive in Windows (both in "normal" mode and in safe mode). Windows XP boots up but the cursor just hangs in the middle of the screen. I performed the registry edits in an attempt to fix another problem (Windows wouldn't recognize the DVD-CD drive) and when I rebooted after making the changes, the keyboard-mousepad problem occurred.

I did backups of the registry prior to doing the registry changes.

I also created system restore points before making these changes.

A few months ago I did an entire system backup using the utility in XP. This created a bkf file on an external hard drive. I also backed up all of my documents RELATIVELY recently.

The recovery console of the laptop works (keyboard operates in recovery console) but I don't know how to run a system restore from the recovery console.

Again, I don't have the installation discs that came with the laptop.

How do I do either of the following:

* Restore Windows XP Pro to a restore point from the recovery console

OR

* Restore Windows XP from the .bkf file on the external hard drive.

If I cannot restore or repair XP, then I want to retrieve the files/programs on my laptop. I have access to another PC (running Windows 7) and also have an external hard drive.

With the laptop in the recovery console, how do I copy files from the laptop's hard drive to either the hard drive of another computer OR to the external hard drive, so that these files can be retrieved when I buy a new system?

Any help you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,430 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

Do you have access to another XP computer?

Edit: depending on if you do would make the decision on which way to proceed. The easy way or the more difficult way.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 July 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#3 brianmargo67

brianmargo67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

No access to another XP computer. The other computer to which I have access is running Windows 7.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,430 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

Okay,

You first need to either attach the drive to the other computer or download a linux distro and do the recovery with the drive in place.

See the following guide on how to manually replace the Registry Hives from the Restore Points you created.

To do this with a linux disk, download Parted Magic and burn the iso file in Windows 7 by double clicking it or Right click > Burn Image FIle.

Boot the Parted Magic disk and when you arrive at the desktop, double click the File Manager icon. Browse to Windows\system32\config and rename by right clicking the file name of the following files.You do not want to delete them as the guide says

\windows\system32\config\system  to system.bak

\windows\system32\config\software to software.bak

\windows\system32\config\Sam to Sam.bak

\windows\system32\config\security to security.bak

\windows\system32\config\default to default.bak

Once those are renamed, browse to \System Volume Information on the root of the drive

In System Volume Information there will be a folder with a long alpha-numeric name. In that folder are a number of subfolders named RPx. Each one of these has a subfolder called snapshot.  Look at the date for the one you want to restore. In the snapshot folder are the following files.

_registry_user_.default
_registry_machine_security
_registry_machine_software
_registry_machine_system
_registry_machine_Sam

Copy these files to Windows\system32\config and rename them to

security
software
system
Sam

Reboot

Edit: You may have to right click to allow hidden files to be viewed or you will not see those files.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 July 2014 - 09:31 PM.

#5 jamjamnewbie

jamjamnewbie

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:53 AM

When I booted it, it BSOD or something
saying some error occurred and Press OK.
I cant see if what key I need to press(I created another thread about my monitor, a week ago)

Back on topic, I still cant access my pc by aoemi

Mod Edit:  I deleted your accidental post - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 02 May 2015 - 04:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users