Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

automatic maintenance, what does it do?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

i've had automatic maintenance pop up in my system tray several times in the last few days, it says it wants to run and i have let it but i can't tell what it is doing. it seems to be each time i run it does "something" and then just goes back to the little flag in the system tray saying to do it again. all that the "change maintenance settings" under "action centre" does is allow for selecting the time of automatic running. when i do select to run it my laptop screen brightens for a few seconds, a clock icon appears over the system tray flag and nothing noticeable happens. what does automatic maintenance actually do, does this repeated running indicate a problem with my system? 

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

Here's the MS writeup about it.

Quite normal to run as a regular scheduled task.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

i'm afraid that still doesn't really answer my question of what it does. that page seems to talk about it being run on servers and web hosting machines.

thanks

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

Sometimes MS help pages can be a little hard to understand... Let me break it up for you.

This is why it exists.

"Windows depends on execution of inbox and third party maintenance activity for much of its value-add, including Windows Update, and automatic disk defragmentation, as well as antivirus updates and scans."

This is how it works.

"Maintenance activity in Windows is designed to run in the background with limited user interaction and minimal impact to performance and energy efficiency."

This is what it does.

"The goal of Automatic Maintenance is to combine all background maintenance activity in Windows and help third-party developers add their maintenance activity to Windows without negatively impacting performance and energy efficiency."

I hope this helps you more.

:busy:

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

ok thanks

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

So judging by your first post I guess there is some sort of update that is not completing, leaving the maintenance service as always pending.

I suggest you look in your events viewer under software, to look for what is not completing.

#7 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:57 PM

I started noticing it again today, i still don't understand quite what it is for. My antivirus is AVG so that won't be using it, i have updates set to check automatically but wait for my permission to download so that shouldn't use up much. It started quite randomly earlier when i logged on this evening, and the option within "control panel-->action centre" to stop it just brought up a UAC prompt which ended up doing nothing. I restarted several times and twiddled with a setting in task scheduler and now it's gone to it's usual state of sitting with a flag in the "system tray". I still don't really understand what it does, are there particular processes it will trigger?

#8 CritterSchitzo

CritterSchitzo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:39 PM

Hi all and I guess this is my first question on here. This is and older thread but seems the right one to post on. My question is if my computer has to be connected to the internet for 'automatic maintenance' to complete? I keep getting the notice in the Tray to run it but it never completes. the reason I ask is because TsVk! posted above

"The goal of Automatic Maintenance is to combine all background maintenance activity in Windows and help third-party developers add their maintenance activity to Windows without negatively impacting performance and energy efficiency."

It sounds as though I need to be logged on to the internet. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

#9 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:01 AM

Since there's apparently no way to see what automatic maintenance does, I've disabled it.  Microsoft seems to think every user a needs  nanny.  Fine if you do, but I allow absolutely nothing to automatically run.

Edited by md2lgyk, 12 March 2015 - 06:02 AM.

#10 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:16 PM

I must admit i have still haven't understood what it really does. On my machine there are permanently two messages it gives when i click on the flag, the first is that it wants me to change windows update settings to full auto (i leave them on automatic checking but not downloading without my approval), the second says something about "optimising my computer" if i click it then something happens for a few minutes and a little clock shows next to the flag, then the something finishes and the message has re-appeared. I've given up bothering to run the "optimising" task, whatever it is, and just leave it and both it's messages lying, ignored, in the system tray. I can't work out what it is but it might have something to do with disk defragging. Sometimes it also shows the clock when i leave the computer idle for 5-10 minutes, but the clcok vanishes with one shake of the mouse.

#11 CritterSchitzo

CritterSchitzo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:20 PM

Microsoft seems to think every user a needs  nanny. 

I totally agree with that statement. I am going to disable the alert in action center and be done with it. Thanks

#12 CritterSchitzo

CritterSchitzo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:31 PM

I must admit i have still haven't understood what it really does.

And most likely Microsoft doesn't either since I haven't found a clear description of what it does on their site.

On my machine there are permanently two messages it gives when i click on the flag, the first is that it wants me to change windows update settings to full auto (i leave them on automatic checking but not downloading without my approval), the second says something about "optimising my computer" if i click it then something happens for a few minutes and a little clock shows next to the flag, then the something finishes and the message has re-appeared. I've given up bothering to run the

I have never set mine for automatic update mainly for the reason that if something goes wrong I'll know that it wasn't from automatic update. It sounds like your maintenance cycle is doing the same as mine. I go to action center > change action center settings and disable the notifications I don't want to get. I can control some maintenance from Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Windows > Task scheduler. It lists Idle maintenance, Maintenance scheduler, Manual maintenance and Regular maintenance. What the heck the difference is, I don't know.  :smash:

#13 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:48 PM

I'm pretty sure the Automatic Maintenance icon appears when a task from the Task Scheduler is being run. I am not positive, as I never see the icon you are referring to- I think Norton Security Suite replaces that icon, with one of it's own, in order to make me believe that Norton/Symantec is "taking care" of every aspect of my computer.

If you want to see what tasks are scheduled for you, search for Task Scheduler and open up the interface. There will probably be a lot of different items, that MS and various software makers have put on your schedule. The exact contents of the list will vary from computer to computer, depending on what software is installed. 

I recommend just letting these tasks run, since disabling them all could lead to problems later.

#14 lightspeed11

lightspeed11

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:09 PM

U say auto. maintenance tasks are meant to run in the background using very little resources right? My one comes once a week, but when it does run, i notice my PC starts slowing down. When i open Action Centre & go to 'maintenance' and click 'stop maintenance', the lil' clock goes away, & my laptop goes back to its speedy self. So or me, it is actually a hindrance, slowing things down. I prefer to do my own maintenance. Example, run disk defragger once a week, Tho if i can let let maintenance run while im away from the comp, i'll be happy to let 'IT' do as it pleases. Just dont Hog the resources while im on it plz :)

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:24 PM

Defragmentation is not as necessary on Win 7 machines compared to the previous XP operating system. Once or twice a year is more than enough... even for heavy data consumers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users