Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PDF creation software

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

I'm trying to change PDF creation software, and I hope I can get some recommendations here.  The following are the parameters:

1.  Must be free, not trail or shareware.

2.  Foxit out of the question.

I'm currently using one, but I don't want to say what it is, so the results isn't skewed.

Thanks in Advance.

:bananas: :bounce:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

i can't say microsoft word is free but it is probably already on your machine. the later versions will export to pdf. use of a google account may also make it possible. you could attemot uploading an attachment to gmail (or into google drive) then selecting the" change format to google docs format" option and then opening the google doc and selecting pdf as a download option.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

By PDF creater if you mean having a PDF printer that can create a PDF from any application that can print to a file, I use Bullzip. In print options it will let you create custom pages with vertical and horizontal offsets. When you install it, it requires you to download a small opensource file called Ghostcript.

http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

BULLPDF Printer seems fine, but there are a few things that must be noted.  Specifically two lies:

1.  XPDF is required (per the installer).
2.  PDF Power Tool is required (per the installer).

Proof of the lies:

1.  The website says it is optional.
2.  If you clear all check marks on Ghostscript, XPDF and PDF Power Tool downloads, and click next, you get a warning that Ghostscript is needed.  Go back, check the Ghostscript box, then go forward, there are no warnings.  Then everything works fine if you have a PDF viewer installed (XPDF is a viewer), and don't install "PDF Power Tool".

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/081efdff204b539b87089a27d0b44f62bd83cf3a14c0cdc31e7c15c94b305f0a/analysis/

Have a great day!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the update on BullZip. They must have added all that junk after the version I installed.

#6 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

You can make PDFs using Libre Office Writer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=libre%2Boffice&oq=libre%2Boffice&aqs=chrome..69i57.7939j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=libre%2Boffice%2Bwriter%2Bpdf 

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:11 AM

Nitro has a Free PDF Reader & Writer. 

http://www.nitropdf.com/pdf-reader

Make sure you download the correct bit version for your operating system. For example, the 32 bit version won't install on a 64 bit OS. 

You'll get prompted to upgrade to Pro, but don't have to. 

Hope this helps.  :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

Thanks for the additional replies, but BullZip is what I've decided on.  I need more than just PDF creation in an "office clone", and I already use Tracker Software's PDF Exchange.

Have a great day!

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

By PDF creater if you mean having a PDF printer that can create a PDF from any application that can print to a file, I use Bullzip. In print options it will let you create custom pages with vertical and horizontal offsets. When you install it, it requires you to download a small opensource file called Ghostcript.

http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php

Thanks for the info about Bullzip!  :thumbup2:

Nitro is no longer compatible with Windows 8.1, of which I seldom use, but still need a PDF creator on hand. The Windows 8 default PDF Reader is as described, a Reader only. 

Hopefully Nitro will become Windows 8.1 certified soon, as I've used it for years. In the meantime, will use what's available. Maybe I'll like Bullzip better. Won't know until I try it out. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users