Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new to Linux. Hardware Issue.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 skeeterbyte

skeeterbyte

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

Hi all,

While I've been a long time computer nerd, I've just started my deep venture into Linux. Better late than never as they say.

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 series desktop that had been given to me for parts. Installed additional RAM and a new, clean

hard drive. Installed Ubuntu Studio 14.04 and it had been running flawlessly until yesterday. The on-board video failed. Got

a new video/graphics card. After installing the new card, on boot, the screen does show recognizing the card but doesn't go

further than that into the boot sequence. It appears to me that it is looking for or waiting to have the appropriate driver. It doesn't give me the splash screen nor the opportunity to get into the BIOS or anything else for that matter. In reading various items, most said you needed to disable the on-board video before installing the card and driver for the new card. I don't know how to get into whatever

I need to in order to do the steps necessary to disable the on-board video or to install the correct driver. I have tried booting from a CD/DVD (which was correctly set in the BIOS boot sequence) but that didn't work. Tried a flash drive which didn't work either. So working from a live or "trial" install won't work. Like I said, my current knowledge of Linux is limited but now that I have some time, I intend on that changing as quickly as possible.

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Skeet

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

Follow this link for help from the Dell community

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/16756814.aspx

#3 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

Also... follow this link and find the manuals for your system.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dimension-4700/manuals

Of particular interest should be the Dimension 4700 Service Manual.

Refer to the System Setup section.

#4 skeeterbyte

skeeterbyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

Thanks old rocker but since I don't get the splash screen, I can't get to any of the items noted. When I have it connected to the

on-board video, what is shown is totally garbled. There's is nothing that can be used to see where you are or what's going on.

And with the new card, it never goes past showing a black screen with just the name of the new card (therefore indicating that it

does "see" it). Can't type anything, no input from anything accepted.

#5 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

Quite possibly you may wish to remove the new video card. Connect to the onboard graphics port. Start your system press <F2> and get into the System Setup to disable/deselect the onboard video as the primary device. Save the changes. On reboot do a hard shutdown before the Dell screen disappears. Install your graphics card and try a boot.

#6 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

have you tried adding "nomodeset" at the end of the kernel line in the GRUB menu?

which video card was purchased and istalled in lieu of onboard graphics?

more details make for better recommendations.

Edited by pane-free, 17 July 2014 - 10:46 PM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#7 skeeterbyte

skeeterbyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

thanks for the suggestions but as I originally said, I can't get to anything to change or add anything in a command or BIOS or anywhere.

Since I'm still learning Linux, thought there might be something I could do outside of the things I knew, like the suggestions that have already

been suggested. While I do know the on-board video is the strongest visual indication of the problem, I strongly suspect the motherboard is

either gone entirely or will have to be replaced to be used in this machine. Certainly if anyone knows of any "tricks" to workaround this boot/video

issue, please let me know. I was really hoping to not have to replace the motherboard just due to the expense.

Thanks in advance.

#8 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

My bad & sorry to hear of your troubles, especially after purchasing DDR2 RAM.

If it turns out you need a non-UEFI mobo and want a new one cheap, I have a couple in the box and never used, should this be of any consolation.  Just use your current case, as a suggestion.

BTW, I'm still learning linux after five years of exclusive use now!

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

Stupid question here.

Do you happen to have a Windows XP disk or Win7 or better yet Win8? A trial disk will do, Windows supports drivers better, Its just a suggestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users