Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 updates problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

I see a lot of threads here about problems with windows updates.  I am having them on a used gateway, with 500 gb, 4 gb ram, and 2.2gh duo core processor.  I've reset windows 8 , and still no luck.  I check for updates, download them, click on install them, then after awhile the computer says, "failure to configure windows updates reverting changes.  Out of 104 updates, I might have between 80 and ninety.  I run update repair from administrator, and it fixes one problem, and once has said potential windows update database error detected 0x800070490 not fixed.  The computer also says I need to do a free update to 8.1, but when I try, it says I can't because I need to install updates first.  I would like to get all the updates finished and make an image usb I can use for if I need to restorewindows, but I'm stuck on updates.  

Also:  How the heck do I close out the pages I've been on so they're not running in the background other than restarting?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rg43

rg43

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

heyyou, first try to temorarily disable antivirus etc. Then do updates, if that does not work you will need to return to a pre-OS-update package state.

These instructions may help.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

Alt-F4 will close a front window.

--Ron

#3 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

Thanks rg, that alt-f4 was driving me crazy.  I never think about closing the antivirus, and I know it helps.  I've got most of them installed a few at a time.  The first time I tried, they all failed. The next got 8 out of 112, then about 20.  After they failed to configure, I discovered if I restarted, and remembered how to get back to the updates, I could get a few more to install.  Without the restart, the computer said there were no updates.  And sometimes even after a restart.  I've only got 30 to 40 more that say fail on them.  I had an article shown me saying without  a specific update, you couldn't get any.   http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/black-tuesday-toll-microsoft-drops-windows-81-support-xp-hack-still-works-244088  I have windows 8 tho.  I tried checking to see if that update was one I had configured.  That's how I discovered I got a few installed on the second or third try, and so on.  But I think I'm finally getting some of it.  Thanks for the help.

#4 rg43

rg43

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:49 PM

Don't remember just tap the -windows key- and type, in this case "update" you will see. Look at win+X, as in XO, Alt+Tab will rotate thru screens. So much easier than "go to the corner"  I hope one of your failed updates is not 8.1 because the M$ uninstall of a update package is not complete and leaves a mess.

This happend to me and cost me the whole forth of july week end, this time for 8.1update. All because of an antivirus. In my case a long manual uninstall and cleanup was required. So please remember to temp. disable AV. and do a image backup before any OS change.

--Ron

#5 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:02 AM

I haven't tried 8.1 yet, The laptop told me I couldn't install it til everything else was updated.  And my image backup is done, only at 8.0.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users