Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing daily with Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 linders

linders

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

As directed by an email I am starting a new topic to be analyzed so a possible fix can be discovered for my Dell computer. Everyday now my computer freezes. I use Malwarebytes and CCleaner. I don't think this is the problem. I was informed by DriverUpdate that I have out of date drivers. I would need to purchase their product in order to fix that problem. Is there another site that doesn't charge for fixes or should I just buy their service? I tried to attach a snapshot of Piriform Speccy but was not able to.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

What was the problem with Speccy?  If you got it to run, you can do this.  After running it, click File -> Publish snapshot... Copy and paste the link it gives you into your next post.  That works.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 itsdigger

itsdigger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

Have you read the WOT  user reviews of DriverUpdate ?  I'd avoid it like a plague => https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/driverupdate.net

What drivers are giving you problems?  As drivers never wear out , I never need to update them , if things are working as the should , don't fix them.

As far as freezes go, that can be caused by a lot of things,

We need a little more info to help you out though,  Laptop or desktop, How old is it,  what operating system, etc.

Digger

#4 linders

linders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

I have a Dell inspiron 1525 I bought from Dell in 2008. It has Vista. This is the snapshot from Speccy. http://speccy.piriform.com/results/YOMPNftDZSaxXblGB6Zgocp. If I did it right. I'm not very good with understanding alot about my computer. Thanks for trying to help me out.

#5 itsdigger

itsdigger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

After six years I have to ask if you've done regular maintenance on this laptop. Have you ever used canned air to clear the vents?  It's time for new thermal paste too , also you have a bunch of junk running , I'd go into the start up menu and disable everything but the anti virus .  Speaking of anti virus , I see you are using a lot of McAfee, that's a real pig too.   You didn't actually say what you meant by freezing up either so I must also add the bit about turning off Hardware Acceleration on Flash Player.

Those are my thoughts....

I'm sure wpg is gonna lay some more on ya . He's a pretty sharp shooter

Best of luck

Digger

Edited by itsdigger, 18 July 2014 - 12:32 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

Looking at the Speccy snapshot it appears that the temperatures are pretty much what you would expect to see with a laptop, well within their tolerances.

You didn't include the MiniToolBox from your previous post in the other topic.  Please do so.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 linders

linders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Sorry just getting back to you. I have not used canned air but will get some. I use a laptop fan as setting the computer on my legs gets to hot. Also I thought that would keep the computer temp down. I will attach the MiniToolBox to my next post when I figure out how. I also cleaned up my start menu but didn't know how to find Hardware acceleration on Flash Player. Maybe you can guide me. When my computer freezes it makes a terrible noise besides the lines across the screen so I keep the volume at 0 most of the time. The only way I can get it to stop is to press the on button until everything closes down. Thanks again for any advice that will help.

#8 5thShock

5thShock

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

Forget the canned air for now.  If this was my machine I would try to get back to a Restore Point before the DriverUpdate installation.  This is a heavy duty operation that will change your system and it cannot be undone.   You can Open Start and type restore in the Help and Support box and read up on it.  To invoke this powerful demon >>>Open Start,  type restore in the Start search box, click on System Restore and pick a Retore Point just before you started playing around with DriverUpdate.  Follow the instructions to the very end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users