Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Failing or some type of virus/malware?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 chriswatson06

chriswatson06

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

My Specs

Bought Laptop new from Office Max 2 years ago

Toshiba Satellite S855-s5254

Windows 7 Home Premium

It did not come with any windows discs, however it did make me create a series of 5 laptop recovery discs when I turned the computer on for the first time.

I have been having lots of random problems with my Laptop lately and previsouly.

• Programs taking long to open
  • Random blue screens
  • Intermittent internet connection
  • And more I can't remember

I'm semi-savy with computers but obviously not enough and my attempt at fixing the pc failed.

I've ran memtests, hdd tests, and I most recently reformatted the HD (accidently, i lost all my files :-( )

Prior to reformating I did have malware and virus on the computer in the past.

- I used the set of 5 recovery discs to reformat

After running a restore the computer the computer ran ok but still ran a little slow..

A few weeks later and after my most recent restart it wont get to the login screen.

It asks me to start in windows repair mode or normal mode. Normal mode restarts itself and continues the restart cycle. Windows repair mode loads onto just a plain black screen and nothign else happens.

I tried starting in safe mode with networking but all that does is load all the drivers and then restart the computer.

What steps should I take next to get this PC up and running?

Thank you for whoever takes on my case!

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2014 - 10:14 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

I run a fitness blog because I'm an expert at getting into shape, but not computers, that's why I use BleepingComputer for all my computer issues :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

If you are getting as far as beginning to boot into Safe Mode you have made it as far as the Advanced Boot Options.  Click on the Last Known Good Configuration (Advanced).

If this doesn't work try Stop automatic restart of system failure.  Instead of restarting you will get a blues screen with a ***STOP: with a error code.  Please post the exact error.  An example... ***STOP: 0X0000008E

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 chriswatson06

chriswatson06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

Thank your taking on this issue.

I tried last known good configuration and the computer flashed a blue screen and then restarted. I proceeded to choose turn off auto restart and I got the following blue screen

I run a fitness blog because I'm an expert at getting into shape, but not computers, that's why I use BleepingComputer for all my computer issues :-)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

Having trouble posting the image?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 chriswatson06

chriswatson06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

Yea it couldn't post through my phone since the image was too big. had to scale down file size,

Attached Files

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

Let's see if we can get this repaired.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Dick] burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Running the Startup Repair from the Advanced Boot Options.

Restart your computer and boot into the Advanced Boot Options.  To do this start tapping the F8 key immediately after pressing the power button.

In the Advanced Boot Options click on Repair your computer and press Enter.

You will be prompted to choose your language, and may be asked to enter your user name and password.

This will open the System Recovery Options, click on Startup Repair.  This will start the repair scan.

#7 chriswatson06

chriswatson06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

I attempted to boot from cd using recovery discs I was required to make when turning on the computer but its stuck on a black screen with mouse cursor that i can freely move.

Should I sit and wait for something to happen?

I remember this happening the last time I had problems and tried fixing it and after waiting a few hours it finally came up.

If not, I can do the ISO Image thing too I just am not 100% sure on EXACT versoin of win 7 to download I should.  Sticker on bottom of PC says Windows 7 Home Prem OA, but i dont know if its 32 or 64 bit.

thanks

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

That operating system is a 64-bit version.

#9 chriswatson06

chriswatson06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

Downloading the ISO now but decided to try my discs first

Im in the System recovery options and this happened..

Attached Files

#10 chriswatson06

chriswatson06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

alright after enough playing around trying to get my discs to get it working I have decided to move on..

Iso has been downloaded and it is now burning to disc, once finished I will put it into broken computer and follow your above instructions then post update.

#11 chriswatson06

chriswatson06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

Update - Booted computer up using ISO image and followed your instructions.

Clicked on "Repair your computer" and now its just sitting on a blank screen with the green leafs and white bird on it.  The system recovery options is not showing up.

This is been sitting for 5 minutes now, I will wait for awhile to see if anything changes and then report back.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

Any change?

#13 chriswatson06

chriswatson06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

No change - it sat all night and this morning it still was on that screen.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

When you were using your installation disc did you try the repair option?

#15 chriswatson06

chriswatson06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

Using my discs I got as far as the images I posted above, however i believe I ran in safe mode from the discs because when I tried running it without safe mode it produced the same result as running the iso image disc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users