Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to logon, Win XP with RAID, KB & mouse freeze at logon screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fr13d

Fr13d

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

Hi everyone,

I am so glad to have found this forum and to see that others in the past with similar problems have had them resolved, looking forward to nutting this one out :)

ISSUE
The computer is a win XP with RAID that freezes the mouse and the keyboard if a mouse or keyboard button is touched at the logon screen.

The mouse works fine until a button is pressed, you can even click on a user but are unable to enter a password due to the keyboard and mouse freezing at this moment.

NOTE: originally happened with a USB keyboard and USB mouse, using PS2 keyboard and mouse.

BACKGROUND
I am writing about my fathers old computer which suddenly started “freezing up” at the logon screen, after he wasted weeks trying to get it to work he decided that it was a hardware issue and bought himself a new computer.

Since then I have proved that there was no hardware error by putting an extra HDD in and installing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Everything functions fine under Ubuntu and the files are able to be accessed on the RAID.

DESIRED OUTCOME
While i can access and copy files as needed from the RAID i would like to return access to the win XP install and let my father use it again.

STEPS TAKEN SO FAR
I first attempted to run Live rescue CD's but they could not find the RAID drive.
- Bit Defender Rescue CD – Saw the ubuntu drive, no RAID
- Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 – Didn't see any HDD's.

So I ran the following AV programs from ubuntu 12.04 LTS:

- Bit Defender – NO THREATS FOUND

- ClamAV – 27 THREATS detected (all quarantined)
Documents and Settings/USER/Local Settings/Temp/070817-RR-Market Bulletin-LJR.pdf Heuristics.Encrypted.PDF
Program Files/BitDefender/Bitdefender 2013/updatesrv.exe Win.Trojan.Zbot-14509
Program Files/BitDefender/Bitdefender 2013/AntiSpam_132105_344/as2_fun.slf HTML.Phishing.Card-32
Program Files/BitDefender/Bitdefender 2013/installer/psstatemgr.dll Win.Trojan.Zbot-9286
Program Files/BitDefender/Bitdefender 2013/bdselfpr.sys Win.Trojan.Jorik-6946
Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/ARM/1.0/ReaderUpdater.exe Win.Worm.Agent-7412
Program Files/Common Files/BitDefender/BitDefender Firewall/bdftdif.sys Win.Trojan.Carberp-388
Program Files/Common Files/BitDefender/SetupInformation/{34480DEE-54D6-4985-A817-CA30E9BBC94C}/bdselfpr.sys Win.Trojan.Jorik-6946
Program Files/Common Files/BitDefender/SetupInformation/{34480DEE-54D6-4985-A817-CA30E9BBC94C}/gzflt.sys Win.Trojan.Delf-7739
Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/Mozilla Firefox/crashreporter.exe Win.Trojan.Shell-308
Program Files/Internet Explorer/Connection Wizard/icwtutor.exe Win.Worm.Runouce-122
Program Files/QuickTime/QTSystem/QuickTimeUpdateHelper.exe Win.Worm.Chir-554
Program Files/BitDefender/Bitdefender 2013/gamemodeal.dll Win.Trojan.Zbot-12666
Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12/excelcnv.exe W32.Virut.Gen.D-163
RECYCLER/NPROTECT/00000069.EXE Win.Worm.Chir-477
WINDOWS/ServicePackFiles/i386/extrac32.exe Win.Worm.Chir-490
WINDOWS/$NtServicePackUninstall$/mspaint.exe Win.Trojan.Resur-2
WINDOWS/Installer/b960d002.msp W32.Virut.Gen.D-163
WINXP_PRO_CD/I386/ICWTUTOR.EX_ Win.Worm.Runouce-122
WINXP_PRO_CD/I386/MSPAINT.EX_ Win.Trojan.Resur-2
Program Files/BitDefender/Bitdefender 2013/avckf.sys Win.Trojan.Cossta-421
Program Files/BitDefender/Bitdefender 2013/proxymgrui.dll Win.Trojan.Zbot-3315
Program Files/BitDefender/Bitdefender 2013/AntiSpam_132102_343/as2_es.slf HTML.Phishing.Bank-194
Program Files/BitDefender/Bitdefender 2013/AntiSpam_132102_343/as2_fr.slf HTML.Phishing.Bank-1195
Program Files/BitDefender/Bitdefender 2013/AntiSpam_132102_343/as2_fun.slf HTML.Phishing.Card-32
Program Files/BitDefender/Bitdefender 2013/AntiSpam_132105_344/as2_es.slf HTML.Phishing.Bank-194
Program Files/BitDefender/Bitdefender 2013/AntiSpam_132105_344/as2_fr.slf HTML.Phishing.Bank-1195

I then attempted to logon to win XP with the same result of KB & mouse “freezing” at logon screen after a button press.

I then ran

- ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 – NO THREATS FOUND

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

So you are able to run the machine  using PS2 keyboard and mouse.

Step 1: 

Download and install LogonFix

Click the Highlighted button.

B9P1TTu.png

When prompted select yes.

Allow the program to reboot your machine as well when prompted.

Step 2:

• Download drivecleanup.zip to your desktop.
  • CLICK HERE to determine whether you're running 32-bit or 64-bit for Windows.
  • Once the determination has been made open either the 32-bit or 64-bit folder.
  • Right Click the .exe on the inside of the folder and run as admin.
  • A command prompt window will open telling you what has been removed upon completion.

Note: All usb devices must be removed from your machine during this step, except your keyboard and mouse of course. 

Step 3:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop.

• Close any open windows
  • Double click the TFC icon to run the program. (Vista/7/8 Users, Right Click and select Run as Admin)
  • TFC will close all open programs itself in order to run
  • Click the Start button to begin the process
  • Allow TFC to run uninterrupted
  • Once its finished it should automatically reboot your machine, if it doesn't, manually reboot to ensure a complete clean.

#3 Fr13d

Fr13d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

Hi Lazerchicken,

I can only get KB's and mice to work fine under Ubuntu.

The PS2 mouse and KB also freeze up in win XP (32-bit) when a button is clicked or pressed even in the safe mode logon screen.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

he Zbot infection you have has control of this machine. The tools available in this section are not capable of removing and repairing the damage to your User account privileges.

We need to get a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide, and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Fr13d

Fr13d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:47 AM

Hi boopme,

I am unable to use win XP for anything at this moment, I can't even get to the safe mode command prompt and I get a BSOD when I use the original win XP disc to boot due to not having the RAID drivers on a floppy disc.

At the moment I am trying to figure out a way to transfer the RAID drivers to a floppy disk or attempt to create a new XP disc with the drivers, service packs and updates.

The only functioning computer with a floppy drive is the broken computer we are currently attempting to fix.

I am not sure if it helps but the motherboard is an ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS.

Is there a tool that will run in linux that can provide the same information as DDS?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

I have asked another to look here.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users