Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2010 Crashes when opening an email

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 JimConsidine

JimConsidine

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

Hello. I've been using Outlook since 1998 and I think I am hitting "the wall" with this particular problem.
A couple of months ago I noticed that MS Outlook 2010/64 bit with Windows 7 OS was acting a wee bit unstable as it was crashing periodically when I would open an email. It was a minor annoyance that I just worked around. About a month ago, I discovered that if I opened the reading pane view for viewing email, the program would crash immediately. And now, Outlook has become a door stop as within the past week, I can no longer open any emails as the program crashes each and every time.
I happened to run a utility program called "Mini Tool Box" yesterday on a "malware hunt" (a process I learned through this forum) which reports everything that is running on your PC. It also reports faulting applications, which in my case was Outlook 2010. I took the pertinent data from this report and sought a solution. A forum that I came across advised to run the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe). I did so and the program found errors (it does not quantify what errors or how many errors if found). I let the program run, rebooted, and Outlook continued to crash as before.

Note:  The crashing of MS Outlook 2010 has occurred without provocation from changes in my system.  I have not added, deleted, any programs.  I do a weekly defrag and a sweep with a spy bot and C. Cleaner. 

I would appreciate any advice on repairing this pesky problem. Thank you.

Jim Considine

The information about Outlook 2010 stated the following:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (07/13/2014 05:10:20 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 14.0.4734.1000, time stamp: 0x4b58fd6e
Faulting module name: USP10.DLL, version: 1.626.7600.20602, time stamp: 0x4b30507b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000034d6f
Faulting process id: 0x16b0
Faulting application start time: 0xOUTLOOK.EXE0
Faulting application path: OUTLOOK.EXE1
Faulting module path: OUTLOOK.EXE2
Report Id: OUTLOOK.EXE3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

Do you have any Outlook add-ons enabled? Try disabling or removing them. http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/uninstall_addin.htm

You can also try going into Control Panel>Programs and Features, select Outlook and click Repair. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/repair-office-programs-HA010357402.aspx

Just on the off chance your default font in Outlook is Helvetica: http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2010/up101209.htm#1

The 0xc0000005 error code can be caused by a number of issues. Does the error code only occur with the Outlook.exe file? The likely cause is a problem with the way the program was installed or updated. If not, it could be anything from malware, to damaged system files, to bad RAM or drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users