Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo Firewall Alternatives

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mosscomes

mosscomes

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

I've been using Comodo firewall for 5 plus years. It has saved me numerous times from installing pups. I also like that it shows upload and download activity very clearly.

But with my new windows 8 laptop, the newest version still has a well-documented and apparently long unfixed issue with a number of Windows 8 metro apps (specifically Nexgen reader), I'm looking for alternative to Comodo and Windows firewall). I'd like to find something that is as effective as Comodo was in preventing pups from being installed and one that shows network activity as well as Comodo did (or find a bettter light application that shows it).

Any opinions?

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2014 - 10:10 AM.
Moved from Win 8 to Firewalls - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/533449/firewalls/

Best of luck and have a great day!

:bananas: :bounce:

#3 Paulito

Paulito

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

I like private firewall but use comodo for the sandbox extras.

#4 Snackers

Snackers

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

Privatefirewall is a decent choice with its advance filtering features and in-depth features. I am not sure of its performance with windows 8 and would suggest something else such as Emsisoft's OnlineArmor they have a Free edition it has several different modes of protection and provides decent coverage for everyday browsing and online activity.

#5 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

I've been using it with Windows 8.1 and 8.1U and it works great.  As for Emsisoft products, I question the abilities of their programmers.

Have a great day!

#6 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

As for Emsisoft products, I question the abilities of their programmers.

You're making an accusation of a product and their programmers without any reasoning (saying why you believe this or including any facts), it's a little bit suspicious in my books. I'm less likely to trust the opinion of someone who says statements against products without justifying it in any way, as how can I know you are telling the truth or not just making this up to put people off the company (I'm not saying you are, just it's possible).

I don't say this to defend Emsisoft or their programmers, I am curious as to why you believe so.

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 25 July 2014 - 07:28 AM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

~Currently in my last year of school, so replies might be more delayed~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#7 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

I've explain it in other posts, but I'll bring it all together here.

Last year, I tried Emsisoft Antimalware program.  I was immediately turned off by them.  This is because WITHOUT NOTICE OR APPROVAL, they added tag lines in outgoing Outlook messages for advertisement.  Luckily this was discovered on my test computer, which I test all programs (or on a virtual computer) before they go on our (my wife and I) live computers.  I always work on the premise that all programs downloaded are infected, until proven otherwise.  Another rule that has kept me virus, malware, and hack free for 19 years.

At the beginning of 2014_07, I mentioned the above (the Outlook thing) in a post on a discussion board.  Then a malware researcher for Emsisoft called to my attention to Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.1.0.40 release notes (2014_02_15)that included: "Removed Outlook integration as it became obsolete for safety".

So I decided to try it again.  However, once the program was installed, it told me that I only had 6 days of trail time.  I had a conversation (private message) with the malware researcher for Emsisoft, and I said that Emsisoft should allow the user the OPTION to take the 30 day trail, or go straight to the free version.  The malware researcher at the beginning of 2014_07 said that it had been recommended already ("I have already made the suggestion last week").

During the week of 2014_07_20, I downloaded Emsisoft Anti-Malware again.  I then installed it again on the test computer (after resetting it).  Immediately on running of Emsisoft Antimalware, it told me that the trail period expired (note 1).  I did a binary compare of the downloaded installer from the beginning of 2014_07, and the one I downloaded during the week of 2014_07_20, and they were identical.

Because of the above, makes me question if Emsisoft really has the ability to properly program an antimalware program, and firewall.  They promise a 30-day trail, but it only allowed 6 days when I tried it the first time in 2014_07, and then it was expired the second time.

Before I tried it the second time, the computer was reset with Paragron Backup and Recovery, which means that any traces of the previous install had been removed.  Because of this, it proves that the programmers messed up and hard coded the date in the program, or their date check routine is messed up.

I tested their firewall (Online Armor), when I was initially thinking of leaving Comodo, and it fell short.  The notes I had was missed by my backups, because I had it in a "non-standard" location (based on my setup) -- my bad.

When it comes to security software, there is no margin for error, and I have high standards.  "Good enough", isn't good enough for me.  Because of my high standards, is why I haven't been infected or hacked since 1995_10 (checked my passport).

Notes:
1.  It wasn't an option to try the 30-day trail or go to immediately to the free option, but said the trail period expired.

Have a great day!

#8 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,015 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

It's not unusual for a program to state they have scanned an email, I know Norton and ESET do too (probably others, I have not researched whether they do or not). It's not unique when Emsisoft did it, and it's not unusual for the programs not to ask to scan your emails either and to have the tag line.

When I tried the program and others have on a computer which has never had Emsisoft on before, we were given the option for a 30 day trial, to use the program in free mode or to insert a license key during installation as options in the first step of installation. That is unusual you never got the screen, but all programs can sometimes have strange results on certain computers. I don't know many programs which at least a few people haven't had problems or have had bugs, especially programs like security software.

Anyway, thank you for your opinion and explanation. However, I personally am more interested in how a program can protect me from malware and how well it works at removing infections, as isn't the point of a security program in the end? Most users end up occasionally getting infected and for me I like to be able to recommend a program which can actually do a good job in detecting and removing malware. Each to their own of course, and everyone has their own priorities.

Just an fyi, I've also never been infected by malware properly.

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 25 July 2014 - 09:45 AM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

#9 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

There may be a misunderstanding here.

1.  Having a tag line put on VOLUNTARILY is fine, but putting it on without notice or approval, or a way to disable it (what the free version did), isn't acceptable.

2.  I know when I tried Emsisoft before 2014_02, I had the same option (30 day trail), but as I indicated before, the one I downladed the beginning of this month, and a couple of days ago, it didn't, which means the programmers messed up.  This is the first program, THAT I CAN RECALL, that had a trail period and it messed up.  Again, that I can recall.

3.  When I tried Emsisoft before 2014_02, it was on Windows 7 and Windows XP Pro, and it was just fine (meaning the trail period).  The last two times I tried it, it was also on Windows 7, but it messed up, so it's not the OS, but the programmers.  The Windows 7 image is from the same image I used before 2014_02.

4.  I understand program bugs.  However when you put things together, you also have to look at the negative, especially when it comes to security issues.  It is a possibility that the date issue might have been the cause of say, one "newbie" that QA (quality assurance) failed to find, but that is still their responsibility.

5.  As for your question: "However, I personally am more interested in how a program can protect me from malware and how well it works at removing infections, as isn't the point of a security program in the end?", let me address that.  The short answer is yes, it matters on how tell it works, but when certain conditions cast doubt on things, especially security software, they must also be added to the equation.  Take these few examples.  When I got clobbered with viruses in 1995, I copied the infected files to a floppy, and used for testing later on.
5.1.  McAfee.  In 1995, when I was infected with 600+ viruses, McAfee only detected about 50% of them.  But Norton detected all of them.  Since then, I've tested McAfee against Norton, and the results never changed, even with newer versions of the programs.
5.2.  AVG.  The same thing, but it's detection rate was only about 5% of the above viruses.
5.3.  I've performed similiar tests, with other programs and the results were as shocking.  When done with the test, on an ISOLATED COMPUTER, WITH A HARD DRIVE DEDICATED TO THIS TESTING ALONE, I'D FORMAT THE DRIVE BEFORE USE AGAIN, IN ANOTHER TEST.

I use several antivirus/malware programs for protection, as well as 50+% of my Firefox addons are security related.  When I delete files (e.g. bank statements), I use the same protocal that is used to delete classified, DoD files.

I standby my comments of "As for Emsisoft products, I question the abilities of their programmers".  However, that won't stop me testing their program again, quite a few times.  Even if my testing proves out that it seems to be OK, Emsisoft will NEVER be my primary malware program, just a secondary, on demand scanner, to verify other scans.

I just reread my one post, where I said: "Because of the above, makes me question if Emsisoft really has the ability to properly program an antimalware program, and firewall".  I realize now that may have been a little strong.  I've already replaced Comodo with a firewall I've tested for about 3 months, on several thousand known bad sites, and I'm satisified with it.  This means I have no plans on testing Emsisoft's firewall again.

Yes, a lot of users get infected, I agree.  I helped a friend early this year that was infected and the condition for my help was that he wouldn't change security settings, install programs that I know was bad, etc.  Well after his system was fixed, he immediately started to make changes, and installing the known bad programs.  Well, he's on his own now.  He'll need to take it to the shop, find someone on line to help him, or find someone local to him (non computer shop type) to assist him.

Have a great day!

#10 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

I have an alternative explanation for the trial duration mishap.

Maybe Emsisoft has an activation process for trials too.

So when you start a trial on a particular computer, a unique computer ID (based on the hardware/software of your computer) is uploaded to the Emsisoft activiation server.

When you restore this computer to a state prior to the Emsisoft installation, and then install Emsisoft again, the activation server receives the same computer ID and shorten/denies your trial.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#11 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,015 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

I believe you may be on the correct lines with that Didier Stevens, I know the trial does not work on the VM image I have, even though it is a new VM when I tried it with only basics set up on it.

My point with the email tag line is to say a few different security companies do it, do not not notify you when they put the tag line, and often it's within options so searching google is the quickest way to find out how to turn it off rather than trying to guess where it may be.

Neither McAfee, AVG or Norton are products I'd personally recommend due to them tending to cause problems on some computers, and other products have better detection rates on average. It depends where you get the malware from and how old the samples are, most products rely on sample packs submitted by those who collect new samples everyday.

It's your personal opinion on whether you think a program is good or not, but it's best not to make statements on here like you did without giving any reasoning. It's bad practice generally and I'd much rather people were informed about why you believe so they can make their own choices.

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 27 July 2014 - 09:03 AM.

#12 Alduin's Khajiit

Alduin's Khajiit

• Banned
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

the guy wanted comodo alternatives not random firewall discussions. I came here because comodo refuses to install on my Win 7 desktop. you guys are wasting his (& my) time

#13 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

the guy wanted comodo alternatives not random firewall discussions. I came here because comodo refuses to install on my Win 7 desktop. you guys are wasting his (& my) time

Yet you took the time to post this comment which is wasting everybodies time and which is borderline insulting.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#14 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

I've never had an issue with Comodo installing on Windows XP, Vista (for a relative), 7 or 8.  In all the things I've read, the problem is usually infection by malware that prevents installing of AV and firewall programs.  I suggest you check that out.

Presenting alternative firewalls, and people's testing and/or opinions of these items is what this thread (and others) are intended for.  To present opinions/facts, and allow the topic starter to make up his/her mind.  Add to that, the OP said, "Any opinions"?

Have a great day!

#15 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

Presenting alternative firewalls, and people's testing and/or opinions of these items is what this thread (and others) are intended for.  To present opinions/facts, and allow the topic starter to make up his/her mind.  Add to that, the OP said, "Any opinions"?

+1

Since you remind us that the OP said "Any opinions?", I realize it's an invitation for any opinion ;-)

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users