Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake Mozilla update applet!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

This morning I had a new interesting pop up when I closed Firefox, it told me of needed up dates!  Mozilla does not send out pop ups, keep you wits about you be very careful of what you click on!!!!!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Nope, I have to disagree with you!  Per Mozilla ( https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/advanced-settings-browsing-network-updates-encryption?redirectlocale=en-US&as=u&redirectslug=Options+window+-+Advanced+panel&utm_source=inproduct#w_update-tab ):

Firefox updates

* Automatically install updates (recommended: improved security): Firefox automatically downloads and installs found updates.
** Warn me if this will disable any of my add-ons: If you wish to be prompted if the downloads will disable any installed add-ons, select that setting.

* Check for updates, but let me choose whether to install them: Firefox lets you choose if you want to download and install updates. If you do not choose to do so, you can download them at a later time.

* Never check for updates (not recommended: security risk): Firefox will not check for updates.

Scotty comment:  The only way they can notify you, is to display a message on the screen.

Have a great day!
:bananas: :bounce:

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 17 July 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

Did you fully read and understand the post?  I have been using Firefox since beta, I very aware of it how it works.  Many are not near as well informed my post was to warn the neophytes, many of which cannot resist the need to click!!!!

Edited by OldPhil, 17 July 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

Mozilla does not send out pop ups...

OldPhil:

With all due respect, I disagree with you.  By definition a popup is: "appearing suddenly and temporarily in a new window within or on top of an open window".  Reference: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/popup?s=t (near bottom).

Although I don't use FF automatic updates, I reinstalled FF 29.0.1 on my test computer and set it up to notify when updates are available, but let me decide.  Here is what happened:

4j6ekz.png

Gave a great day!

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

I be darned if I can figure out how this can be construed as anything but a warning to others! 

Quote:

This morning I had a new interesting pop up when I closed Firefox, it told me of needed up dates!  Mozilla does not send out pop ups, keep you wits about you be very careful of what you click on!!!!!!

#6 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

OldPhil:

No disrespect intended, but the point is, that you indicated specifically, "Mozilla does not send out pop ups...", but Mozilla can show popups as shown in the example, and it is indicating an update, in a valid, baseline install.  There are no viruses, malware, etc.

Thus the comment of "Mozilla does not send out pop ups..." is misleading.  Being careful on any messages displayed is prudent, that is true.  However Mozilla Firefox (and Thunderbird) [note 1] will display popups, depending on how it is configured, that is my point.  The popup I showed is from the basic, no changes made, install.

Also understanding how the update checks work is important, in my example:

1.  Firefox (and other Mozilla programs) connects to a program on the Mozilla site that checks for, and returns the status of any updates available.

2.  Firefox (and other Mozilla programs) displays a notice that an update is available, based on the information received from Mozilla.

3.  A popup can be from any program, script, etc.  Because a Mozilla program initiated the check, the Mozilla site returned information about updates, and a Mozilla program displayed the popup -- Mozilla displayed the popup.

NOTES:
1.  These are the only Mozilla things I use.

Gave a great day!

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

I probably should have been a little more specific about the applet, I was shutting down had just killed the browser.  Sitting behind was this drab applet stating new important Firefox updates available, the applets litany sounded quite convincing and would be very convincing to a neophyte, that was the purpose of the post to get them to look a bit harder.  If they would only take that extra second or two the "Am I Infected" section would have a ton less posts!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users