Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand New Hard Drive, System Is Not Loading Windows..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sld72382

sld72382

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:48 PM

OK, interesting thing here. First post, BTW.

Got a brand new 300GB Seagate SATA and a Vantec SATA PCI controller card, installed in the last available PCI slot. Card is recognized and installed OK, but when the drive is connected, system will post, but will not load windows (XP, by the way). Even trying to boot to a 98 boot disk does notthing - just spins the floppy and halts.
When I unplug the drive, system loads fine.

Now what gets me is that the drive is recognized by the card's BIOS's messege, but after that it goes to the mainboard's standard DOS-like screen that shows the IRQs and such, then the screen goes black. Tried setting jumpers on the drive in two different places and even disabled my serial ports (to avoid a possible IRQ conflict), so no go.

Am I missing something here?

BTW, this is an older system that otherwise works great.

AMD 1.2GHz
512mb
Epox KT133A mainboard.
2 IDE hard drives - system drive is an 80GB WD and the other is a 160GB seagate.

Edited by sld72382, 30 May 2006 - 10:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:00 PM

You need to go to support at the manufacturer of your motherboard for specific instructions on how to use a sata drive as a boot drive.
You also may need to download drivers to do so which are installed directly after you begin the new Windows installation.

You may also want to check Seagate's support site to see if their migration tool will migrate the contents of your present Hdd to the sata drive.
(your sata drive may have come with such software).

Also, does your present installation have SP2? If not, the drive may not be recognized. Seagate has a tool to correct that as well.

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:11 PM

So what your saying is that when you have the new SATA drive installed, Windows XP will not boot on the normal drive (80GB WD)?
When it halts after the POST, does it come up with the message:
"Insert system disk and press any key to continue" or something along those lines?

Is it possible that the BIOS has decided that the new SATA drive is the new MASTER - I know on mine that if a drive is connected to SATA 0 and IDE 0, the SATA takes precedence...maybe try connecting the SATA drive to a different port on your controller card?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#4 sld72382

sld72382
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:05 AM

OK, to answer these questions:

I'm using thus drive for data, not booting. My WD 80GB drive is for that.

As for the card I bought, it only has one port internally.

Yes, I do have SP2 installed.

And I'm getting no errors at all when I boot up. Just a black screen.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:25 AM

Enter the bios setup and make sure that your IDE Master drive is the one set in the boot order.

How about the sata drivers? And have you formatted the sata drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users