Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Websites only accessible by IP address and not by URL - no DNS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ptak30

ptak30

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

Windows XP Pro SP3. I had a number of problems with this PC and was on the point of abandoning the OS but through searches on this site, I have managed to resolve a lot of the problems, which started when trying to uninstall AVG.  Nearly all the damage that caused, seems to be corrected. I still have one problem. The PC is connected by cable to a router which provides Broadband facilities to a home network. The network connection was hanging at "trying to acquire an address", so I gave it a static IP, which I set in the router's config as well. I had earlier re-installed the Netgear adapter driver. Now, in Firedox I can connect to sites only if I supply their IP addresses, but not if I supply the URL.

Trying to start the DHCP client doesn't work. In a thread here, it was suggested  that removing the DependOnService entry in the registry might help, but that didn't work either. There were a lot of warnings in the event log concerning TCP/IP. Resetting the TCP/IP connection via "netsh int ip rest restlog.txt"  removed the manual adjustments I had made and set me back to the "trying to acquire an address" point.

I ran tdsskiller from this site but it found nothing. I also ran FSS, last night, and I am attaching the FSS.txt.

I would be grateful for any help or suggestions.

Attached File  FSS.txt   5KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:50 AM

This may help ... http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/A-static-IP-with-DHCP/td-p/124444 .

#3 ptak30

ptak30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:06 AM

Thanks for the reply The link suggests what I had already done to get the connection past the " trying to obtain IP address" point - I supplied the static address and the gateway and the DNS server (Google's free DNS server 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) in the TCP/IP protocol Advanced Properties.

UPDATE  In the light of that link, I decided to remove the static address and go to automatic. I had made some changes to the registry while in the static position so I thought it may be worth trying going to automatic. Hooray. This is being written from within Wiin XP Pro and another problem has been solved - I've got my browser back to where it was before the disaster. Thanks once again for the link - it was just what I needed.

Edited by ptak30, 17 July 2014 - 05:48 AM.

#4 AlphaSirius

AlphaSirius

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

Great, this site is a wonderful resource of getting good information. Hey guys thanks for sharing this information, it's very helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users