Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which desktop should I buy based from the price and specs?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 So_Be

So_Be

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:09 AM

Hi everybody!

After some research, I also decided to buy a desktop. I'm going to use this for:

1. MS office

2. Internet - email, surfing

3. Minor editing of my pics using Photoshop

4. Skype

I don't watch videos and youtube and play games. I'm planning to use this for 4 years or so.

I'm a student and on a limited budget and based from my research, these are 2 desktops that fit my budget (under 550 bucks) with good specs I think. I also prefer a WI-FI ready desktop.

OPTION 1: HP Pavilion 500qe Desktop PC

http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-Pavilion/G6F97AV?HP-Pavilion-500qe-Desktop-PC&jumpid=ba_r329_hhocse&aoid=44661&003=6663635&010=G6F97AV#ABA&ci_sku=G6F97AV#ABA&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

• Windows 8.1 64
• 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4460S processor quad-core [2.9GHz, 6MB Shared Cache]
• Intel Integrated Graphics
• 6GB DDR3-1600MHz [2 DIMM ]
• 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
• SuperMulti DVD Burner
• 7-in-1 Memory Card Reader, 2 USB Ports (Front), Audio [Front 2USB3.0]
• No TV Tuner Card
• Integrated Sound, DTS Audio
• Wireless-N LAN card (1x1)
• HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Grand Total: 521.00 dollars 

OPTION 2: Dell Inspiron 3000s Desktop Computer

http://www.microcenter.com/product/432961/Inspiron_3000s_Desktop_Computer

• Intel Core i5-4460 Processor 3.2GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM
  • 1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • Intel HD
  • DVDRW Drive
  • 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
  • 10/100/1000 Network
  • Dell Wireless-N 1705
  • Bluetooth 4.0

Grand Total: 528.00 dollars

I think Dell has better specs but I have no experience with Dell products before. I used to have an HP desktop and it has been good to me. Should I be loyal to HP with lower specs or buy a machine with better specs @ almost the same price? Based from these models, is there a better model (not sure about computer naming hierarchy like Inspiron, Pavilion etc) than the other? Dell is a smaller tower but it has a vertical CD/DVD drive. Do you think vertical CD/DVD driver will crash easily due to gravity? :-P 

Also, if you have any very good desktop recommendations other than these 2 that's within my budget, pls let me know! Sorry for the long intro :-)

Thank you guys for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:26 AM

Hi, both desktops are nearly identical although the Dell has the slightly faster processor and 2GB more of ram. Although the difference is the HP allows you to easily expand and upgrade the desktop in the future, along with it's super and much more detailed support page in terms of finding out specific things about the desktop (eg. Supported CPUs, motherboard layouts etc). 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 So_Be

So_Be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:16 AM

Thanks Bleepin!

I think I'm not planning to upgrade my future desktop since I'm only going to use it for school and basic stuff. I will use it 4 years or so and buy another one.

Based from the specs of these desktops, can really see or tell the difference, speed wise when it's running?

My dilemma is: I like HP's customer service and I had no experience with Dell yet. But Dell's desktop specs is better for the price. 

Thoughts pls? :-)

#4 Echokrush

Echokrush

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Hello. 

I work with HP computers regularly at my job and I have personally owned Dell computers in the past. HP computers, as you already know, are very good quality and I haven't had any problems with them professionally. As for Dell, personally and professionally, I have had a few issues with them before, but I would resolve those issues.

As for customer service, HP customer service is very good and I have no issues with them at all. Dell customer service is good as well and if you need it, they will help you with your issues or send a part to you if your computer is under warranty. 

As for which computer is the best one, both are identical as mentioned by killerx525. So it's really up to you to decide which is best for you and what's reasonable in your price range.

#5 ubuzz

ubuzz

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:01 AM

As others have said the computer are nearly identical except for processor speed and 2GB more memory on the Dell.  From personal experience I would go with the HP (less issues and easier to upgrade).  Based on what you listed as your uses for the computer either computer should do what you need.

#6 Jeremiah Fish

Jeremiah Fish

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

The second one has the edge because of the processor being clocked higher and the extra RAM, however this won't necessarily translate into any significant performance for you as what you'll be doing doesn't really require much of either. Photoshop would be better off with a dedicated graphics card but the Intel HD graphics will suffice if you're just doing simple stuff (don't add a dedicated GPU to the unit either, there's a good chance the PSU will not be capable enough to handle it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users