Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download speed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cuhkwan

cuhkwan

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:57 AM

I tested my internet speed and got a download speed 593Mbps and upload 862Mbps, ping=2ms.

However, when I download files from some websites where the download speed looked like limited, such as 150kbps, couldnot be any faster.

Does anyone know why ?  Could I make it faster in such case ?

Thanks forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

A couple of things come to mind.  Sometimes the site you're going to gets overloaded and become slow.  Every time you go to a site, your connection can be routed through different sites, and sometimes one of these sites can be slow and/or having problems.  I just had it happen with Dell forums which are normally fast, and sometimes I see it happen here as well.

Edited by wpgwpg, 17 July 2014 - 10:39 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Please follow this guide. :)

http://www.ihelpforum.com/index.php?guides/speeding-up-your-internet-connection-vista-windows-7.44/

#4 Arthur.Smith

Arthur.Smith

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

Now there are many possibilities here for what happened with you. Either you used some wrong site for testing your Internet connection, I recommend speedtest.net ; well you didn't mention what your original internet speed, I mean for the one you pay, you just said that the test showed the speed but what is package you have chose, usually 150kb download speed can be obtained by 1mb users or 100mbps speed with IDM, so another possibility is that there are some windows updates going on and you don't know about them, your softwares are on auto-update, your antivirus is connected to online database, your browser is loading too many tabs, you are browsing while downloading, multiple downloads at a time, your download medium isn't right or corrupted or it is yet to be configured, or there are some download limits set by you mistakenly in them, try downloading by browser or some other source, maybe the site you are downloading from is offering a limited speed to regular users and 150kb happens to be that speed normally, so try download from some other site, maybe its just a temporary problem because of over load, you may want to wait a day or two to see what happens, if your problem still isn't resolved I would recommend you go to My computer, then to my network places, then view connections or something like that, right click on the two monitors icon, select repair and click repair, let it take its time and see if the problem has been solved if its still there, then try uninstalling some useless apps from your browser like auto zoom and stuff sometimes these apps stay auto connected and search for what we are doing that consumes some speed, If the problem still is unresolved I strongly suggest that you call for the assistance of your service provider.

#5 cuhkwan

cuhkwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

I tried other website, such as Norton.  I used only 2 seconds to finish downloading a 200M size file.  I guess the download portal mentioned previously was limited the client's download speed.  Well, just happy to know it.

I got 1G internet speed and I tested by speedtest.net as well.

Now, I understand that even though I got fast enough internet speed, I might not be able to have it in all websites.   It depends on the website's architecture.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

A couple of things come to mind.  Sometimes the site you're going to gets overloaded and become slow.  Every time you go to a site, your connection can be routed through different sites, and sometimes one of these sites can be slow and/or having problems.  I just had it happen with Dell forums which are normally fast, and sometimes I see it happen here as well.

+1! :thumbup2:

Of the sites that I use daily, forums can be the slowest to load, especially when traffic is heavy. The rule of "peak times" doesn't apply to forums, as members/viewers are scattered all over the planet. Normally at 2AM, I have no problem traveling anywhere, but on this forum & the popular E-Cig forum, sometimes I'll have issues with posting or pages loading slow. If the issue persists, I use the time to grab a snack & usually things are back to par. 

I used only 2 seconds to finish downloading a 200M size file.

You happen to be one of the "one-percenters" when it comes to ISP speeds. Wow.......with these speeds, you're set for life. That's 100MB/sec.  :bowdown:

A few years back, our current POTUS was pushing for this (these advertised speeds) as a basic human right, such as clean drinking water, utilities, etc. Stated this was needed, to that the unemployed could find work, patients would have fast access to healthcare, etc. However, haven't heard another word about it since. 

Guess it was all smoke & mirrors.  :P

Wait a minute, I found it. However, it's been downgraded to 100Mb/sec & unfortunately, there's already those whom are complaining these funds can be put to better use. By the time it's said & done, Americans will end up with a "basic right" of 25Mb/sec & that may be stretching it. Read on for more. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Broadband_Plan_(United_States)

According to this plan, not all Americans will qualify for the service. This is much different than what was initially promised orally. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 Arthur.Smith

Arthur.Smith

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

I tried other website, such as Norton.  I used only 2 seconds to finish downloading a 200M size file.  I guess the download portal mentioned previously was limited the client's download speed.  Well, just happy to know it.

I got 1G internet speed and I tested by speedtest.net as well.

Now, I understand that even though I got fast enough internet speed, I might not be able to have it in all websites.   It depends on the website's architecture.

I am glad that I was of some help, look some websites do offer limited speed to regular users but believe me Internet/web is a very large place, there are so many alternatives, I suggest you download from mediafire,4shared etc if you want a direct download. 4shared have a huge library of files for you but it will ask you to make a free account first to download something. At the other hand mediafire doesn't require anything and they offer unlimited speed I guess, at least for me I get maximum speed from them. 

So good Luck enjoying that great speed of yours..

Edited by Arthur.Smith, 25 July 2014 - 06:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users