Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Recovery, Assistance Required...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pensive_By_Nature

Pensive_By_Nature

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:25 AM

Hello Gang,
Wonder if someone can offer some useful suggestions to assist me. My girlfriend's daughter has a Pakard Bell KAV60 netbook running Windows 7 Starter Edition. There are 4 IDs on the machine, 3 of which have passwords for users that no longer have access to the machine and need to be removed. One of those 3 is an administrator account. The 4th ID (no password) is a Standard User Account. I've been charged with the task of cleaning up the machine and removing the IDs no longer required.

Having access to the non-administrator account, I'm unable to install software to clean it up and perform all the necessary updates to bring it up to date.
Having successfully used HIRENS CD in the past to access older machines in a similar position, I thought I'd give it a try on this machine, but this is the first time I'm having to install HIRENS CD onto a USB Stick and boot from that instead of the CD drive. Here are the steps I followed:

1. Downloaded the HIRENS CD Zip file on a separate machine
  2. Installed the ISO image to the freshly formatted 2GB SanDisk (Cruzer Micro) USB stick, using unetbootin-windows-608
  3. Changed Boot Order on the Packard Bell KAV60 to "USB" in the BIOS, saved the change
  4. Rebooted with USB connected
The result.... The machine hung, displaying the following message:

"Syslinux 4.03 2010-10-22 EDD Copyright © 1994-2010 H. Peter Anvin et al"

Googled this message and read some comments about updating code to tell the machine to look for the USB and not a CD. I'm not familiar with the code steps so went back to the start.

I learned that within Unetbootin-windows-608, I could download - straight to the USB Stick - the ISO image for NTPasswd. So I reformatted the USB stick I used above and proceeded to try this method. The install was successful and on rebooting the Packard Bell KAV60 from the USB stick, I was able to get a few steps further forward than above. The point at which I get stuck now, shows me the following:

"Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)"

I'm stuck, can anyone offer any helpful steps for me to follow?

Thanks in advance.

Pensive By Nature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:05 AM

We aren't allowed to help with password cracks.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

We sympathize with your situation. Though your question about passwords is most likely legitimate, there are those who would pretend to need such assistance in order to gain unauthorized access to a computer not owned by them. We have no way of confirming ownership or if someone is being truthful with us. As such we don't provide step by step instructions but we certainly can help you find the information you seek.

This article describes the Microsoft policy about missing, lost, forgotten, or incorrect passwords...Microsoft support engineers cannot help you retrieve passwords of files and features in Microsoft products that are lost or forgotten.

Microsoft policy about lost or forgotten passwords

You can refer to these Microsoft articles.

Forgotten Password Instructions provided by Microsoft:

Non-Microsoft Forgotten Password Guides:

Password Recovery Tools:

Louis

#4 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

You might want to try using Rufus to burn your ISO to the USB.....it's what I always use to install from on a USB and it's never failed.

Rufus

Edited by bassfisher6522, 17 July 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#5 Pensive_By_Nature

Pensive_By_Nature
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate the difficulty in knowing who has genuine intentions and who does not.

Pensive By Nature

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,293 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

Activate the hidden superuser account in Windows 7

Safe mode with command prompt:

net user administrator /active:yes

Reboot and you should see "Administrator"