Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Left Clicker on HP 8440p touchpad is "Spongy" and an Annoyance- PLZ Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 amodoko

amodoko

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:46 AM

Hey guys, I have an HP 8440p laptop and its left click button on the touchpad/trackpad is spongy.  It works, but it will not give me that click to ensure that the button is registered. It's pretty annoying after I use it for  awhile.  My right click button works fine, its just the left click button.  Is this an easy fix?  Or do I have to buy an entirely new palmrest/touchpad on ebay for $50 just to get it to not be spongy? 

Also, can I just pry out the left click button from the outside?  Like how you pry out normal keys on the keyboard?  Or do you have to disassemble the entire laptop just to get at the inside of those buttons? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:50 AM

What do you mean as spongy? As in, it is unresponsive and sluggish when clicked? Or it doesn't give a loud satisfying click as per-normal.

mYIGVc5.png

#3 amodoko

amodoko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:43 AM

Hey, I figured it out, it was too annoying to deal with and just decided to give it a try.  A lot of videos on youtube show it as a really involved process, where you have to remove the keyboard, etc.  Luckily, I was able to just pry off the buttons and inspect it (a lot of laptops won't allow this it seems, where the keys are attached under the palmrest where you can't access them).  I don't know what they're called, but you know those little silicone things under the keys that pop up?  Well the left click button's silicone thing had developed a tear in it from use so it would not pop up as forcefully.  So I would get no clicking noise.  It would be like the key was just smooshing up against something when I pressed it.  It would push back to come up to a normal state, but it wouldn't push back hard, so it always felt like I was pressing against a worn out spring or something.  Anyways, I just replaced that part with a new one and it's good to go!

#4 ashyc23

ashyc23

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:33 AM

Cheers Amodoko, my 8440p left touch button would only work if pressed on the left side of the key. You gave me the confidence to investigate and fix it ;)

I jammed a plectrum in on the bottom edge and lifted the corner of the key up and out it came. I then put two  layers of parcel tape on the back of the touch key where it makes contact with the rubber boot underneath. This makes a firmer contact when pressing the key.

When re-installing the key, locate the top edge first and then poke your plectrum in under the bottom edge making sure to push back the plastic locating tabs and then push down.

My touchpad key is now working sweet!

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users