Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla Firefox Bookmarks?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BigJoeJ956

BigJoeJ956

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:00 PM

For some reason my browser dosent have my bookmarks any more but it still has all my saved passwords. What can I do to get my bookmarks back? I never deleted any of them.
The only thing I can think of is that theres two profies mine and a default and maybe I am stuck on the default profile any one know how to switch? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:53 PM

Hello,

You will need to change your folder view to show hidden files and folders. This can be done by clicking My Computer-->Tools-->Folder Options-->View-->tick the option next to Show Hidden files and folders.

Then, find this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Account\ApplicationData\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\9theoxlg.default\bookmarkbackups

Where it says Account in the example, this will be the name of your user account. The path to your bookmarks may differ a bit, but it should be very close to the example above. You may need to be the administrator, or have administrators access to view this folder, as it contains important data related to your Firefox settings.

Also, it is a good idea to Hide your files and folders when you are done.

One more thing, if you look in All Programs under the Start menu, find the listing for Mozilla Firefox. There should be two options: Mozilla Firefox, and Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode). The Safe Mode option is generally supposed to be Firefox without Custom settings, and if you have a shortcut that you launch Firefox from that was made from this Safe Mode option, then you very well could be launching Firefox without your settings.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 BigJoeJ956

BigJoeJ956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. When I go threw those steps all I can find is the bookmarks for the toolbar and not my other bookmarks. I can find those under bookmarks1 I cant find the bookmarks.backup. Would it be under any thing eles?

Thanks
Joe

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:46 PM

Do you have any of these listed, in that folder:

bookmarks.html (this is a file)
bookmarks.bak (this is a file)
bookmarkbackups (this is a folder) - if you have this folder, what's in it?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 BigJoeJ956

BigJoeJ956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:52 PM

Do you have any of these listed, in that folder:

bookmarks.html (this is a file)
bookmarks.bak (this is a file)
bookmarkbackups (this is a folder) - if you have this folder, what's in it?

Yeah I have bookmarks.html and bookmarks.bak I dont have the last one.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:38 PM

bookmarks.html is your bookmarks.
bookmarks.bak is your bookmarks backup.

When you double-click bookmarks.html, do you have any bookmarks showing?
When you right-click bookmarks.bak, and select Open With, and choose Internet Explorer, are there any bookmarks showing?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#7 BigJoeJ956

BigJoeJ956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:16 PM

bookmarks.html is your bookmarks.
bookmarks.bak is your bookmarks backup.

When you double-click bookmarks.html, do you have any bookmarks showing?
When you right-click bookmarks.bak, and select Open With, and choose Internet Explorer, are there any bookmarks showing?

Bookmarks.html shows my toolbar bookmarks and the other one shows nothing.

Joe

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:49 PM

Sounds like your profile folder has somehow become corrupt.
If, as you stated in your first post, you still have your saved passwords, it's doubtful that you have some how switched profiles.

Do you, by chance, have these bookmarks stored in IE, also?
If so, you can import them into Firefox.
Delete the one's showing in Firefox, then import from IE.

Are you able to create new bookmarks.
If so I suggest you get the extension, Bookmark Backup.

If not, I recommend a complete uninstall/reinstall of Firefox.

Note: You will have to go back and redo all of your personal settings (Options), as deleting the Profile folder will erase everything Firefox related.
You will be starting with a clean slate.

To completely uninstall Firefox, you will need to delete your Profile folder.
This file is not removed when you uninstall Firefox from Add/Remove.
It will retain all of your previous settings, and re-apply them to your new install, if it's not deleted.
That's why, when you install a new version of Firefox, your previous settings, bookmarks, passwords, etc., all remain the same.
For a Fresh (start from scratch) install, this folder has to be removed.

Uninstall your current version of Firefox from Add/Remove programs.
Then navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles
Delete the Profiles folder (or send it to the Recycle Bin as a backup).
Then navigate to:
C: \ Program Files \ Mozilla Firefox, and delete that folder.
Then reinstall Firefox.

#9 BigJoeJ956

BigJoeJ956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for all the help. Ill be geting the Bookmark Backup for sure now.

Joe

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:19 PM

You're welcome, Joe.
Sorry we weren't able to get your bookmarks back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users