Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

got new replacement Motherboard. now laptop shuts itself off.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 m1lfr3d

m1lfr3d

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

so i bought a new motherboard for my laptop (extremely long story).

basically the motherboard came and i set it into the laptop, placed on some new thermal glue, and started it up. then i intalled the drivers and did the necessary restarts as per the usual.

once that is all over with i downloaded a game to play and ~ 10 mins into the tutorial my laptop shut itself off (no blue screen, no messages...just "blink its off". so i assumed that my GPU was having problems and just decided to turn the laptop on again and watch some youtube videos. after about 30 mins of watching videos it crashes again in the same manner.

is there any kind of test i can perform to see what is causing the computer to crash? some things i think it could be are:

1. the new motherboard is faulty

2. it may be a result of overheating.

here are my specs: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4gccJjd16bIKDUGEJQFPpHf

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

The temperatures in your Speccy report look good (all under 50 C), but games are known for being demanding on the processor, and that can heat things up.  Intel processors do have a means of shutting down when they get overheated, so I'd download SpeedFan and just keep an eye on the temps.  I like to see them under 70, but you have to get higher than that before the processor with shut itself down.  You could run some diagnostics to see if your hardware is working like it should.  Windows 7 has some good information you can get from the Performance and Information Tools applet of the Control Panel.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 m1lfr3d

m1lfr3d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

For some additional information I found out that the laptop installed incorrect drivers for my graphics card.

I have a Gt 650m but my laptop seems to think I have a Gt 640m. So it is forcing me to install gt 640m drivers and won't let me instal 65 drivers.

This seems to be causing the card to be faulty because games I used to play at full fps on high setting can't even run 30fps on very low now.

I cant think of anything that could cause a gfx card to be reported as a different gfx card.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

Are you attempting to use the same Windows install on the same hard drive as the previous motherboard used?

Did you reinstall Windows after new board was put in place?

Louis

#5 m1lfr3d

m1lfr3d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

It's a fresh install.

Made sure the bios was flashed/updated. Installed the drivers. Only problem is the gfx card and the random shut offs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users