Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system restore points - rp folders??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alyab123

Alyab123

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:50 PM

I've used ccleaner to remove a bunch of restore points. I should only have about 10 left.

an avast boot scan told me that a particular file located in system volume information\restore{numbers...}\rp37\A00.... is corrupted.

I assumed that meant a particular restore point is corrupt.

I went into the system volume information folder.

there is only one \restore{................} folder.

I opened it, and there are 137 rp folders!

Are these previous restore points??

Why are there so many?

Is it safe to remove the corrupt file inside rp37?

How does this work??

Any knowledgeable help would be appreciated! thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:36 AM

The best way to delete all but the most recent restore point is with Disc Cleanup (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-8 - see the last item "System Restore & Shadow Copies")

#3 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

For what it's worth, I've found that the Windows generated restore points are often unreliable.

Years ago I started using a free program called ERUNT. It creates superior restore points and allows you to store them anywhere you want. I keep mine in the Windows folder but also occasionally copy them to a flash drive. There is also an associated GUI program that makes the process extremely easy to use.

http://larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

There is also a Registry Optimizer included but I cannot vouch for it as I try to avoid using Registry Cleaners and Optimizers.

I can't find the link to the GUI shell right n ow but it's worth getting.

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:02 AM

- ERUNT doesn't create System Restore Points (SRP) . It creates a backup of the Windows Registry. A SRP contains more info from one's system besides a copy of the registry.

- This article describes how to use the Disk Clean up tool in Windows XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

I don't know if the tool will wipe ALL SRPs & "RP" folders in Win XP. Just see if it does.

- If you REALLY want to get rid of ALL "RP" folders then do this:

- Create (manually) a new SRP.

- Use a program like ExplorerXP to delete all "RP" folders except the most recent one. Look at the time stamp. I do it all the time and I never had any problems.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:47 AM

The above info is not necessarily accurate. Two things:

1) Disc cleanup will delete all but the most recent restore point.

2) Disabling System Restore will IMMEDIATELY delete ALL restore points

#6 Alyab123

Alyab123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

thank you all. I have erunt, and I used to manually run it a few times a week. Unfortunately I fell out of that habit, and I now have a big problem on my pc. I will have to go to the virus forum for help...  Thankfully, I do have some CCleaner backups from last week, and they may be helpful.

I only see you telling me how to remove all restore points. Diskclean did not remove all these hundreds of old RP## folders. Right now this is far from my biggest problem, so I'll have to pursue this at a different time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users