Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zuluss

Zuluss

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

I will first start with specs of computer.
Custom build
-windows 7 home prim
-x58 mother board
-i-7 980 CPU
-660ti nvid GPU
-16gig ram
-750 PSU
-corsair hydro cooling system

Now the issue I am having, my computer blue screened and my hard drive just  gave out on me, I have 2 other hard drives one with another windows 7 on it that I know 100% is working and another with windows vista on it that I have about a 30% change it is still working.
So I figured I would do my normal cleaning maintenance on my rig, so unplugged everything removed the fans and my GPU and cleaned them all then removed the hard drive and put in the 2nd hard drive the one with vista on it.
Plugged everything in and when the computer screen comes on it said "CMOS has changed, check Cmos setting save and restart" I looked up and most people said it is a common problem with the coin batterie so I replaced it and changed CMOS settings to default and no more issues with that, now when my computer attempts to start into windows I get to a screen asking me to choose between "start windows normally or launch start up repair" when choosing either one the computer just restarts and go's back to the same selection.
So I have a new HP I have only used twice other than that i use it as a foot stool under my desk, so I started up the computer to test to see how long it took to boot 4-5 seconds to load windows from point in time power button was pressed, I disconnected the hard drive and tested the two hard drives I am having issues with on it and get errors on both of them. Original hard drive that blue screen and crashed says "boot files missing"
The xp hard drive loads to a windows error recovery screen asking to start windows normally or start recovery, neither work.

So now I plugged the HP hard drive back in and tested again boots just fine 4-5 seconds no issues, I removed it from the HP computer and placed it in the custom build computer and attempted to boot. No luck it loads to windows error recovery screen, but at least this hard drive will let me actually run the startup repair, once repair is finished says it was successfully repaired and computer reboots gets to the windows LOGO and loading bar once it finished loading the computer reboots and takes you to the windows error recovery screen again.

The mother board is not reporting any errors no beeps nothing just silent. I have had the computer for 5-6 years now and give it some heavy use I have replaced my HD twice in that time period but never had a issue like this.

Please help me......

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 July 2014 - 10:51 AM.
language edit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

Please download and run Speccy from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/ .  After running it click File -> Publish snapshot... Copy and paste the link it gives you into your next post.  That will give us the SMART data from your hard drive(s).  You could also download disk diagnostics from Seagate or Western Digital.  I've used Seatools a good bit and find them helpful.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Zuluss

Zuluss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

would be a great Idea if I could actually get into windows im working on a 10 year old laptop right now that is hardly functioning and my cell phone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users