Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions for a Modem/Router with long range signal...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AK4900PA

AK4900PA

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

I recently moved onto my parents property to be closer as they are getting up there in age. Rather than pay two internet bills my plan is to upgrade the modem/router in the main house to a unit that will provide a stronger signal to the second home.

Main home:

Zoom 5350 modem/router
Vizio smart tv
Kindle fire
Signal strength varies between 75%-100% depending on location in home

Second home:

Vizio smart tv
Asus tablet
Ipad
Playstation 3
Signal strength varies between 40%-50% depending on location in home

Any suggestions on a modem/router combo that will give a stronger signal to the second home would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by AK4900PA, 16 July 2014 - 10:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:58 AM

Here is a list of PCMags top routers for 2014

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398080,00.asp

But, if you have two routers already or even one, I would go with a relay or signal booster.  They make indoor and outdoor ones.

Here is some info on repeaters and Boosters which can work up to 1 mile away (note Googles Project Loom has created WiFi routers that work 12 miles away)

Click Here for Info on Boosters and Repeaters

I love netgear routers.  Like the NightHawk

You also want to look at the signal dB level, and what you’re sending through.

Here is a great write up on dB's, and other factors to look for when selecting a router.  Click Here

Overall, the more power that the router is sending out the further the signal will go.  Now, anything with metal in it will create a shielding effect that will do 3 things to the WiFi

• Reflect - or bounce off the object
  • Refract  - which is change direction when the signal hits a object
  • Attenuate - or absorbed the signal

Remember Cinder blocks are made with metal meshing in them.  So if you’re in a building with cinderblocks it will stop the signal or slow it down.  That is why in old hospital buildings you can’t get a cell phone signal. 

Also when selecting a router look at the antenna.  There are 2 or 3 types.  You want the type that goes all directions.  See the guide for more info. 

Overall a WiFi signal will go at least 300 feet, for G type, and a clear line of site. 

Good Luck

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 AK4900PA

AK4900PA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

Thank you. Both homes are single story wood frame construction and about 150 ft apart. The first thing I thought to do was simply buy a repeater, but pretty much everything I've read said they didn't help much.

#4 AK4900PA

AK4900PA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

I downloaded a wifi meter app and walked around testing the connection.

Right next to the router I got -38 dBm and 52 Mbps link speed

In the second home I got between -75 dBm and -80 dBm with only 1 Mbps link speed

Is this something that a booster or repeater might be able to turn into a useable signal or is a new router going to be needed for sure?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users