Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iastor.sys BSOD

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 JosieG

JosieG

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

Hello, I have an Acer Aspire and have been battling this particular BSOD for a few months now... It is an issue with my iastor.sys.

Last week we reinstalled the driver and there has been no improvement.  There was an update for the driver but when we went to install it, it would not allow it to be installed.  I also have Norton Security Suite.  I have attached the BSOD.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:15 AM

Norton security suites often don't play well with others. Try disabling Norton temporarily to install the driver update.

#3 jinxiang

jinxiang

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

Kindly upload your dmp file to a host server... location of your dmp file is at C:\Windows\Minidump\

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

Does it blue screen randomly, or when using certain programs?

That particular error means the iaStor.sys driver has tried to page memory it shouldn't have access to. That usually means either the driver is corrupt, or there may be problems with your RAM. Since a driver reinstall didn't fix it, you might want to run a memory diagnostic.

I'm more worried about the error at the bottom: physical memory dump failed with status 0xc000009c. That means there are bad blocks on the hard drive.

From an elevated command line prompt (type cmd in the search bar, right click the icon and chose Run as administrator), type in

chkdsk /f /r

and hit enter.

Edit: Since you are evidently using RAID, you may want to use the RAID utility to do a physical check of the array before using chkdsk.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bf1a23a0-9e79-4a6f-9cf3-95d9ea625c44/to-chkdsk-on-raid-or-not?forum=smallbusinessserver

Edited by sflatechguy, 17 July 2014 - 05:33 PM.

#5 JosieG

JosieG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

Hello all,

To answer some questions,

it does blue screen randomly, not linked to using certain programs. It has been sometimes freezing/crashing right after I put my windows password in, and it will say "connecting" for a really long time and never get past that stage.  Sometimes it BSOD's after it signs in and everything is looking fine, and sometimes everything just crashes and BSOD's.  

- I do not have anything in my minidump file, I must have run CCCleaner after my last BSOD.-

- I ran memory diagnostics, and it found nothing wrong.

- I had already done the checkdisk when I saw your additional note, and it said no errors were found, but I am attaching those results.

Any other ideas?

Attached Files

#6 JosieG

JosieG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

Sorry, I also meant to mention that when you choose task manager, my explorer.exe is running at 299K+, and I'm not sure that's an issue...

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

See my earlier post about the lack of a minidump file. The system couldn't write it to memory due to bad blocks on the drive or drives. Chkdsk did find some bad sectors, which could be part of the issue.

That error code usually occurs when drivers are corrupt or aren't the proper drivers for your system. It can also occur with faulty or mismatched RAM.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

As for explorer.exe, yes, that is WAY too much memory. Should be running at about 15-17Kb,

Try running the System Maintenance Troubleshooter: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-System-Maintenance-troubleshooter

You could also run sfc /scannow, although I can't vouch for it's effectiveness. If chkdsk /r didn't repair the bad sectors, that data is unrecoverable and any system files in those sectors may be unfixable.

#9 JosieG

JosieG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:08 AM

For some reason, I remember discovering early on that my computer had bad sectors on my harddrive, but it never proved to be a problem.  

The System Maintenance Troubleshooter found no problems.  I am running the sfc/scannow right now.

My computer blue screened a little while ago, attaching the picture.

Is it possible that I am experiencing two separate problems?  The iastor.sys one and the explorer.exe causing my computer to freeze alot?

Attached Files

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

Looks like it at least saved a minidump this time. If you don't already have Debugging Tools for Windows installed, you can try installing Blue Screen Viewer or upload the minidump file here: http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze

The jpg is fuzzy, but it looks like there's a 0x0000007a error showing. That can be caused by anything from problems with drivers, memory errors, disk corruption or even malware. We already know that you have bad sectors on the disk, but the minidump should identify what driver caused that particular blue screen, which we can troubleshoot from there.

The impact of bad sectors on a hard drive is one of those "it depends" scenarios -- the problems it may cause depends on the data that is in those sectors. If it's user data, like Word documents or jpgs, the system can work around it. But if system files are located there, it will cause serious issues.

It's hard to say if the explorer.exe is connected to the blue screens. Consider following these steps to see if they address the explorer.exe memory issue:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/improve-computers-performance#1TC=windows-7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/optimize-windows-better-performance#optimize-windows-better-performance=windows-7

If that doesn't address the issue, you might want to try using Microsoft Process Explorer. It will provide more details on why explorer.exe is gobbling up all that memory: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

#11 JosieG

JosieG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:24 PM

I was unable to complete the SFC Scannow, it froze my computer (with no other programs open) a couple of times and then a BSOD happened (I have attached the WHOLE BSOD).

I downloaded the blue screen viewer but it says no crashes? (it's pulling from the minidump folder on windows)

Attached Files

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

If you look at the bottom of the blue screen, it says it wasn't able to save the minidump for the same reason as last time -- bad sectors on the hard drive. It even cited the same driver, which is for your hard drive. So Blue Screen Viewer wouldn't be able to find anything, as there's nothing to find.

At this point, I'm going to recommend you start backing up all your critical user data to a flash drive or an external hard drive, if you haven't already. I'll explain why in a bit.

The fact that System File Checker actually froze while running is a bad sign. Do you have a recovery partition on the laptop computer (sorry, it's late :P ), or a recovery disk? If so, reboot (after entering the CD if you have one) and press the F8 key while it is rebooting. Use the arrow keys to move to Windows Advanced Boot Menu and press enter. Then select Command Prompt from the Windows Recovery options. Run sfc /scannow from there, then reboot the system again when it's done running.

If that doesn't resolve it, or if it freezes up again while running sfc, then the bad sectors on your hard drive are probably affecting critical system files and your system may be unrecoverable. You might be looking at a new hard drive and a reinstall of your operating system. So start backing up anything you want to save.

Edited by sflatechguy, 18 July 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#13 JosieG

JosieG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

It says there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart windows and run scf again.

I have restarted windows quite a few times (including without the cd) but am still getting this when I try to run the command prompt. I'm not sure what system repair thing it's talking about?
Ps, thanks for your help and patience! And yes, all has been backed up already before I got on here :)

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:18 AM

Is that after running it from the recovery options command window? Try running this command from the recovery options command window,

dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Restart the computer, then try running sfc /scannow again from the recovery command window.

If that fails to work, or it freezes up again, here are your options. Both will involve reinstalling the OS. :(

The bad sectors on your hard drive are the result of one of two things. One, the data has been overwritten too many times and is now unreadable. If that is the case, you can use GParted (http://gparted.org/download.php) to wipe the hard drive. Download and burn it to a CD, then boot from the CD. Delete all the partitions from the hard drive. Then go to the command line option in GParted and enter   shred -z -v /dev/xxx (EDIT: I realize I forgot to explain that xxx should be replaced with the drive name as it appears in GParted, usually sda.). That will completely erase the disk and ensure the bad sectors won't affect the new install -- if it is just a case of too many overwrites.

More GParted documentation here: http://gparted.org/index.php

Then download a Windows 7 iso (which version are you using? I can send you the link if you don't already have an install disk), burn it to a DVD, and install the OS. You'll need the Windows product key located on the sticker somewhere near the back of the PC. When prompted for the key, enter it. You may have to activate Windows by phone. Instructions on how to do all that: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/can-an-oem-licence-key-be-used-to-activate-a/495b4da1-c1b7-4d93-82a9-8c8601bbaf32

However, bad sectors can also result from a faulty hard drive -- the fact that your computer keeps blue screening on the Intel controller driver for your hard drive leads me to believe that may be the case. If so, you'll have to replace the hard drive and reinstall the OS, following the instructions above.

More on hard drive bad sectors: http://www.howtogeek.com/173463/bad-sectors-explained-why-hard-drives-get-bad-sectors-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

Edited by sflatechguy, 19 July 2014 - 04:33 PM.

#15 JosieG

JosieG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:19 AM

I had a successful BSOD with minidump!   :)

The command didn't work for me before running scf so I am attaching the error message.  It's entirely possible I am doing something wrong.  I will attach/upload the minidump in another post.  I figured you would want to look at it before we went further?

Attached Files

Edited by JosieG, 19 July 2014 - 04:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users