Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me with my multiplayer problems!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VortexFalcon50

VortexFalcon50

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

Hello,

Whenever I play most multiplayer games such as War Thunder, World of Tanks, or Battlefield, I always get super high ping and lots of packet loss. For example, I am just driving one of my tanks in World of Tanks and my ping jumps to 999 and my tank glitches into the ground and then jumps to where it would have been after I stopped driving. Or in War Thunder, I am just flying around and my plane glitches and in half a second dives down into the ocean or crashes. This only happens on my desktop, not my laptop or any other computer. I have Xfinity and use wireless for all my devices. I even tried on a different network more than 20 miles away and it still happened. This never used to happen. It just started one day a few months ago and hasnt stopped since. Minecraft and Civilization multiplayer is fine though. Please Help me!  :(

Thanks,

VortexFalcon50

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:20 AM

To troubleshoot this I would go "on-the-wire". You need to eliminate all wireless connections before looking at the tower. I suspect the wireless NIC is starting to fail, however. 

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

I think what Elfbane is saying is your best bet is try an ethernet connection from your desktop to your router. I know that this may be inconvenient - I would have to drag a tower, screen, keyboard and mouse up a flight of stairs and then move my wife from her normal chair in the living room to get within cable reach of the router. But ethernet is the faster connection.

And as Elfbane says, if you get normal performance over ethernet, then it is time to look at whatever wireless card you use in your desktop. One other easily checked possibility - do you use a USB wi-fi dongle ?  If you do their position can be critical. I use one and if it slips as little as half an inch down the casing, I lose 25% of my signal.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 VortexFalcon50

VortexFalcon50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:18 PM

I think what Elfbane is saying is your best bet is try an ethernet connection from your desktop to your router. I know that this may be inconvenient - I would have to drag a tower, screen, keyboard and mouse up a flight of stairs and then move my wife from her normal chair in the living room to get within cable reach of the router. But ethernet is the faster connection.

And as Elfbane says, if you get normal performance over ethernet, then it is time to look at whatever wireless card you use in your desktop. One other easily checked possibility - do you use a USB wi-fi dongle ?  If you do their position can be critical. I use one and if it slips as little as half an inch down the casing, I lose 25% of my signal.

Chris Cosgrove

Yeah I dont think that will work. It wouldnt make a difference because i dont have this problem on my laptop only on my desktop. I do not use a dongle, I use a dedicated card plugged into a PCIe x4 slot on my motherboard

EDIT: It worked! Thank you so much! Do you think that I could acheive the same thing using a powerline adapter because my router is in the living room and there is not physical way I can get my computer which is in my bedroom to hook up to my router?

Edited by VortexFalcon50, 10 August 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

It's certainly worth looking into. A little info ... http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheaterdoityourself/a/Powerline-Adapter-basics-bg.htm .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users