Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best way to get IT accredited? and Free learning?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

What do you recommend as being the best courses to get internationally recognized qualifications in IT. The field that I would like to go into eventually is IT Security. I have heard a lot about Comptia and a lot of people recommending this being well worth the money. Even so I would still have to start with the basics I think such as the Strata fundamentals. So what would you recommend here?

Also what free stuff would you recommend here and/or what are things I should really be searching here to get more knowledgeable in this field? I mean should I be searching and finding out every single thing about how a computer works and the Internet? I mean should I try and find out all about the hardware, software, firmware, registry, and more - basically everything I can?

I know a friend of mine who is a technician who said that he got to where he is now by mostly doing a lot of self teaching and then eventually paid for the Comptia Exam. But he is certified in like the general stuff and does actually fix PCs. However as well as wanting to that I would like to go into security too.

Any What is your stance on this?

Thanks.

Edit: Moved topic from General Security to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

Whoops, sorry, didn't realise there was this section here. Yes I will search better next time.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

Certifications are to get you the initial interview.  After that it is your real world talent that will get you the job.  If you don't have certifications or education you're going to have a hard time getting an interview.  I don't know of anything free that is also accredited.  If you want to get into IT you're going to need to at least get the basic IT certifications.  If you're wanting to get into computer repair, CompTIA's A+.  If you want to get into security CompTIA's Network+ and Security+.  If you're expecting free, you're going to be out of luck, but you can get certified with the most expensive part being the actual exam.

I recommend the Exam Cram books if you have at least a basic understanding.  The Exam Cram books do not explain everything from the ground up, but will tie up the information you know and add additional information to help you pass the test.

Personally I also purchase the Transcender practice tests.  These are cheap, very close to the cost of actually taking the exam.  However, they will let you know where you are weak and if you're consistently scoring 90% or better on all of the practice tests you should have no problem passing the exam.  Since you have to pay each time to take the actual exam this could save you money since you can take the Transcender tests as many times as you need.  I have never failed to pass the exam the first time using the Transcender tests.

#4 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

I understand that there are going to be no free ways of getting qualified. But I was wondering about what I should try and find out for myself like self teaching stuff. Also thanks for the Exam Cram and Transcender mentions which I will look into. As for Comptia what would you recommend as a prerequisite for Comptia Security and network +?

#5 ubuzz

ubuzz

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

I understand that there are going to be no free ways of getting qualified. But I was wondering about what I should try and find out for myself like self teaching stuff. Also thanks for the Exam Cram and Transcender mentions which I will look into. As for Comptia what would you recommend as a prerequisite for Comptia Security and network +?

Comptia recommends A+ as a prerequisite for Network+ so that might be a good place to start.  There are several books available as someone else already mentioned and there are several free resources on line for information.  Check out Professor Messers site for information and videos on some of the Comptia certs.

#6 mental_man_3

mental_man_3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:38 AM

Also thank you it answered a question of mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users