Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a way to get back deleted files from my flash drive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iShatteredSanity

iShatteredSanity

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Hello there folks.

I am new on this site, so I apologize if this thread is not in the right place.

I work as an electrician at the local power plant in the island I live at. I may be the newest member of the team, but my understanding in computers, as well as electronics and the English language are better compared to the other fifteen people who work there (some of them barely even know how to send an e-mail), so I am often assigned to help them. And so the "boss" there asked me for a favor:

Three days ago the guy who was working in the office was removed (nicer way to say that he was fired). But before he left he deleted all the data from the flash drive on the main computer. There was data about the generators, the oil consumption, dates for repairs, orders, and many more. Now, as I said, that guy deleted all that data and emptied the recycle bin. I don't think that he formatted the drive.

So, my question is: Can I get those files, or at least some of those files back? Is there any software that will allow me to do so?

I thank you guys in advance.

~Valk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Redplauge

Redplauge

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Hey,

Like you I am just a user but I do work in a computer repair shop and one of the tools we use is Recuva, here is the Link https://www.piriform.com/recuva .  As long you have not formatted the drive you should be able to get most of the data back.  Good Luck!

#3 iShatteredSanity

iShatteredSanity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

@ Redplauge:

Thanks. I will try that out.

~Valk.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

There is a program called Recuva that you can use. It works on camera cards, so it should work on other removable media. Download the free version and try it out, here... http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download .

#5 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

The datas not gone,its still on the drive and can probably be recovered.

If the datas inportant your best chance is to go to a prophesional data recovery service although thats expensive.

Some computer shops are very good at data recovery and will charge you much less than a pro recovery service,but you have to look around.

List of recovery programs you can try here.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm

#6 iShatteredSanity

iShatteredSanity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I will see what I can do with the info you provided me with. I will let you know if it worked or if I need more help with this issue.

But for now, I need to get some rest since I need to wake up in a bit less than 4 hours to go to work.

~Valk.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

Whether or not you manage to recover the data on this flash drive - and I wish you the best of luck - the biggest favour you could do your management is to create a backup system for this computer.

There should never, ever have been only one copy of this data. In an ideal world there would be three copies - one on the machine, one elsewhere on site, and one off-site.

As an example, a large local haulage company I used to work for suffered a major fire one night which totally destroyed their central warehouse and office complex. They lost approximately 12 hours of operations. It took about 12 hours to organise temporary accommodation and office equipment, including computers, but they were back on line as soon as this was done due to off-site backups.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users