Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 recovery discs rather than usb?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mystal

mystal

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

I want to make a set of recovery discs for my new windows 8.1 machine (HP 110 desktop) but I'm finding only an option for usb drives. Is it possible to use discs instead? If so, how do I go about it? There's not a 16 gb usb to be had in this town :(

thanks,

mystmaiden

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hello

Under programs is there anything under HP Recovery Manager?

All Programs > HP Backup & Recovery > HP Backup and Recovery Manager.

It may let you create DVD's for a full recovery but Windows 8.1's own recovery option only allows a USB flash drive as far as I know. If you have one 16GB or larger it will work.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

Hi,

I want to make a set of recovery discs for my new windows 8.1 machine (HP 110 desktop) but I'm finding only an option for usb drives. Is it possible to use discs instead? If so, how do I go about it? There's not a 16 gb usb to be had in this town :(

thanks,

mystmaiden

In my opinion if your computer is brand new (no junk installed and perfectly working) you will be better served by doing a full image backup using a program like Macrium Reflect FREE

You can create several images and save them to an external hard disk without deleting anything from the drive.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

In Windows 8.1 you can only make a Recovery Drive on a flashdrive/pendrive/thumbdrive.  There's no option to use CD's or DVD's.  This thread on the Microsoft forums refers to this issue.

If you want to create a Recovery Drive without the Recovery Partition it will fit on a 2 GB flashdrive.  For that matter, I've made a Recovery Drive on a 500 MB flashdrive just to see if it will fit.  However, if you include the Recovery Partition it comes up to just over 8 GB, that's why you need a 16 GB flashdrive.

Also, I fully agree with SleepyDude.  With regular backups you can restore a backup for rather than going back to factory condition.

Edited by Agouti, 16 July 2014 - 03:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users