Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disable drive for boot only

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 d3adappr3nt1c3

d3adappr3nt1c3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

when the windows splash screen comes up, it takes forever when i have my external drive plugged in, im assuming windows is logging it. is it possible to disable the drive until i login? if so how?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

Hello and Welcome,

Look at changing your boot order in BIOS so that your optical drive is first, HDD second, and USB HDD third. It's possible you have USB set to boot before your HDD and that is why Windows is taking a long time to load.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

In addition to the good advice you got from JohnC_21, you can always boot from your hard drive with external drives unplugged or powered off, then connect them after booting.  Once I had a cheap USB hub that would cause Windows to take forever to boot.  I finally got rid of it, but I doubt if you want to get rid of an external hard drive if you don't have to.  :unsure:

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

What you encounter...is one of the reasons why it's important to have an external drive with an ON/OFF switch.  An external drive that is always on tends to interfere with the boot process on some systems.  If the drive is switched off at boot, there's no problem with Windows recognizing attached hardware during it's inventory.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users