Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Evasive Pop-ups

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

I do have pop-up blocking enabled on my Chrome and have ABP, AdBlock and AdBlock+, but some sites avoid all these and up pops a pop-up just when I am reading the material.

One example is "eHow". I do put up with this intrusion and just hit the "X" because the article is of interest. The eHow pop-ups are not ads, but some other variation of eHow services they want me to "enjoy".

Is there a way I can stop these evasive pop-ups ? If we have pop-up blockers, why do they not work ?

Edited by Beaker77, 16 July 2014 - 01:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

Have you done a malware check?  Adblock Plus has gotten rid of them for me, but I see it didn't work for you.  Try downloading Malwarebytes from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ , get it up to date, and do a scan.  When it finishes, click the Quarantine All button and follow the onscreen instructions.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

Have you done a malware check?  Adblock Plus has gotten rid of them for me, but I see it didn't work for you.  Try downloading Malwarebytes from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ , get it up to date, and do a scan.  When it finishes, click the Quarantine All button and follow the onscreen instructions.

Good luck.

My computer is clean of malware. I use Sandboxie online and regularly scan my PC with a choice of reputable standalone programs. MBAM and me do not sleep well together, I do not use it after several tries in the past, including their latest version.

My question was really asking about pop-up blockers that prevent pop-ups from popping up, not to have to manually block them once they have. To use ABP or any of the other programs to block the pop-ups I outlined takes more time than just hitting  the "X" provided on  the pop-up. Also, eHow have hundreds of sites and I do not wish to be manually blocking all those.

I do use ABP and the other blockers for permanently getting rid of ads all the time. Ads do not have a convenient "X" to hit.

I was and still am under the impression that a pop-up blocker should prevent pop-ups from ever popping up.

Edited by Beaker77, 16 July 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

Google Chrome Support explains the possibility of resetting your browser.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2765944

Tekken

#5 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:48 AM

Google Chrome Support explains the possibility of resetting your browser.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2765944

I have looked hard at the Chrome settings and cannot find a mention of pop-ups. Where do you think the Chrome pop-up blocker that they talk about in their instruction texts has gone ? The one which shows the little icon with the red cross.

My Chrome version is 35.0.1916.153 m

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Settings - Privacy - Content Settings

ATYDO14.jpg

Tekken

#7 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:47 AM

@ jhayz

As I said, my Chrome has NOTHING to do with pop-ups in settings, in fact I cannot find any pop-up restriction facility on Chrome.. The Manage Exceptions does not have eHow or any other evasive pop-up sites on the list. In any case, I do not wish to recover the situation AFTER the  event, I want the pop-up stopped BEFORE it pops up.

I cannot relate the data you gave in your post to the information given on my Chrome.

You have my Chrome version stated in a previous post, this is the settings panel - NO pop-up control mentioned :-

cHROMESETTINGS_zps2c30f79c.jpg

#8 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:16 AM

This is the kind of panel that pops-up on any eHow  site just when you have started reading the text and NOTHING seems to stop it. ABP, the non-existent Chrome pop-up  setting, AdBlock, AdBlock+ and Poper Blocker are all useless.

There are other sites which do this.

eHowpanel_zps8df87e6e.jpg

Edited by Beaker77, 19 July 2014 - 07:55 AM.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

As I said, my Chrome has NOTHING to do with pop-ups in settings, in fact I cannot find any pop-up restriction facility on Chrome..

My Chrome Browser version is 36.xxxxx. Perhaps clicking about google chrome (just below the settings) would check for updates then let's see if the pop up setting would appear this time after a browser restart.

Tekken

#10 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

As I said, my Chrome has NOTHING to do with pop-ups in settings, in fact I cannot find any pop-up restriction facility on Chrome..

My Chrome Browser version is 36.xxxxx. Perhaps clicking about google chrome (just below the settings) would check for updates then let's see if the pop up setting would appear this time after a browser restart.

I  am so sorry, the version I stated is wrong, I copied it from an old piece of paper by stupid mistake.

My Chrome is up to date at version 36.0.1985.125 m. 

I am personally humiliated at not using the slide bar to screen down to the Popup  section. For some reason, I just froze when the settings panel came up each time and thought what was on screen  was IT and never even saw the slide bar. My sincere apologies for this Chrome misdemeanor of mine and hope everybody will understand that my brain cells appear to have died prematurely young.

Apart from me  shooting my own foot off, I thank you all for tolerating what must have been a puzzling thing for a poster to write. I now have some new tablets,  should be OK in a  short while.

Edited by Beaker77, 19 July 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

This is the kind of panel that pops-up on any eHow  site just when you have started reading the text and NOTHING seems to stop it. ABP, the non-existent Chrome pop-up  setting, AdBlock, AdBlock+ and Poper Blocker are all useless.

If you are on eHow when this pops up then it's not a standard ad. I don't think Ad Block or anything else will block it. It's a contextual ad. It will come up if you hover your mouse over a particular area. They have them on all pages but it isn't a standard popup ad. When you move your mouse it will disappear but you can't prevent it from appearing. Ad blockers don't block contextual ads.

#12 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

If you are on eHow when this pops up then it's not a standard ad. I don't think Ad Block or anything else will block it. It's a contextual ad. It will come up if you hover your mouse over a particular area. They have them on all pages but it isn't a standard popup ad. When you move your mouse it will disappear but you can't prevent it from appearing. Ad blockers don't block contextual ads.

Frank,

I am absolutely certain that your explicit reply is the correct explanation why eHow and similar sites escape the actions of popup blockers.

Brilliant and thank you very much. I think that you have actually answered the entire root purpose of this thread and effectively it can be considered closed.

At least I have found out where my Chrome popup  setting is.

Edited by Beaker77, 19 July 2014 - 01:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users