Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Neighbor Wireless Channel Overlap

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 strict

strict

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

Hello my neighbors in the Sundance and/or Woodlake Hills area.  If you are reading this, then you followed the tinyurl link here when you saw my SSID.  I am trying to reach out to the owners of the following wireless networks:

SurowiakHome_EXT (Channel 7)

macdonald (Channel 9)

Mona (Channel 9)

NETGEAR02 (Channel 7)

SurowiakHome (Channel 7)

WiFiRSU_52 (Channel 8)

My message is simple, please reconfigure your wireless router(s) to use a standard channel, either 1, 6, or 11.  The reason is simple, channels 1, 6, and 11 are the ONLY channels on the 2.4GHz frequency that DO NOT overlap with other channels.  When you use overlapping channels (2-5 and 7-10) the signal interferes with your neighbors who are within distance of you.

I would appreciate your consideration of those around you who wireless networks are being degraded due to your misconfiguration!

Technical stuff for those interested.

After weeks of losing wireless access randomly throughout the day I started to investigate this issue.  I was using Channel 6 and found 6 wireless networks within range that were overlapping on channel 6.  Once I changed to Channel 1, the problems went away.  In addition I switched many devices over to the 5GHz frequency.  HOWEVER this problem is still occurring for all the neighbors around me, who don't know why the problems I had is happening to them.  There are plenty of resources on the internet that describe wireless channel overlap, and the problems they cause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

Not only are they loosing connectivity they are having slower performance. Why don't you reach out to those people around you and offer to fix it for them in the name of goodwill and friendship? If the goodwill and friendship is not enough then a 10 or 20 spot might help. 

#3 strict

strict
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

Not only are they loosing connectivity they are having slower performance. Why don't you reach out to those people around you and offer to fix it for them in the name of goodwill and friendship? If the goodwill and friendship is not enough then a 10 or 20 spot might help. 

That is my plan.  I am broadcasting an SSID with the URL to this post.  I am hoping if they are tech savvy enough to adjust their wireless channel settings, they might see my SSID and then might follow the URL here.  Total crap shoot... ;-)

Edited by strict, 16 July 2014 - 02:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users