Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UEFI

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Which distros are compatible with UEFI?  I recently got a used laptop with this for boot, and most of my live disks won't work.  I've learned they have to be 64 bit, but some still are not compatible, I think.  I'm trying to follow the steps in the cheesemaker thread  http://conservativeread.com/how-to-replace-windows-xp-with-linux-for-free/  and have had several more to things to read added, and then I discover I have UEFI on the blame thing.  Mint works, I know, and I am thinking about sending for some other disks from osdisk, but I want them to be usable.  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

Which distros are compatible with UEFI?

Turn it off in bios.

UEFI Installing - Tips - Ubuntu Forums

but I want them to be usable

If you burn the iso correctly, And turn off secureboot, they will work.

Mint works,

Mint is quite good, If you find it a bit UMMM, You can add LXDE ( a light desktop enviroment) quite easily.

Ten Things To Do To Linux Mint17 After Install

Edited by NickAu1, 16 July 2014 - 05:27 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

I am thinking about ordering some from osdisc so they are done right.  I tried to run some of the 32 bit, and could not open them with a live disk, but 64 bit Mint worked.  It's the only one I have 64 bit, and the only one that will boot.I've downloaded a 64 bit gparted, but haven't had time to burn it yet.  

But not with Windows 8 specifically, and never with UEFI + Secure Boot + GPT. This makes it a unique, new experiment.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/dual-boot-windows-8-ubuntu.html   Pretty much addresses installing with the uefi and secure boot, and all the stuff I've got to work with.  I've been getting a lot of conflicting info about the 64 bit, UEFI, and secure boot.  That link above is in  http://conservativeread.com/how-to-replace-windows-xp-with-linux-for-free/ .  Sometimes I think it would be easier not to read as much info, but it all has a lot of merit when I can put it together in my mind.  

#4 itsdigger

itsdigger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

I've recently built two new computers for myself (it was a long winter and I was bored) and what I did in both instances was turn off secure boot and turn on CSM and Legacy modes. This Secure Boot crap is just a Deal that the Motherboard Mfgs. made with Microsoft to keep us chained down to Windows.

I'm able to to load any operating system or Distro I want with ease .  Heres a pic of an Windows 8.1 and Sabayon (Gentoo)  dual boot I have => http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r744/itsdigger/2014-03-01_17-41-19_zps3b94ff7e.jpg .

The other computer I built has  Linux SolydK (Debian) which is my favorite everyday work horse .

Just my 2 cents

Digger

Edited by itsdigger, 17 July 2014 - 11:13 AM.

#5 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

I understand I have to turn the secure boot off.  And I know I'm confused easily, but I've read there's a way to use UEFI with some of the distros, eg ubuntu and mint.  Sort of like the thing with PAE (I think those are the letters) and lenovo and hp.  There are several tutorials on how to add to 8.1, and I thought the simplest was the one above.  And I've read both ways on using 32 bit on 64 bit computers.  I discovered I had problems with disks I knew were good.  After I get a couple on, I might try again for some like avlinux which is only in 32 bit.  At the moment, I'm having other problems with windows 8, trying to get everything updated and then a copy made for if I need to restore.  

#6 itsdigger

itsdigger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

Yeah heyyou, I hear ya.  Be sure to create a system image after all the updates are installed.

I created a set of Image Discs as well as putting a copy on an external HDD.  I like Clonzilla for this but there are many different way's.   It's a PITA but necessary ....

While installing the updates or when you have some spare time , I found this article an  interesting read. => http://www.zdnet.com/uefi-boot-with-kororafedora-and-mintubuntu-hands-on-7000025085/

Maybe have a look..

Digger

#7 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

I read something real similar to the first of that somewhere, might even have been there.  Everything runs together after awhile of reading those things.  From hat I read in the link you posted, and a couple others, it makes me think dual boot will work with some distros, and not others.  But I am thinking about installing 3 or so.  I might have to disable the uefi, but not sure windows will boot then.  Windows has a program to make either a disk or usb of itself.  I believe the directions are on the link I listed above, but don't guarantee anything.   Right now, I keep downloading and trying to install the updates, but very few of them will install.  I've reset the laptop to factory settings, but I think the girl I bought it from had already done that.  I've repaired the updater 3 times now, and it says it's repaired, but still doesn't install them.  Also it says I have to update to 8.1, then when I try it says the updates need installed first.  Catch 22, an old book I read in the early 70's.  I think I'm gonna do another thread in the windows 8 section to see if they can tell me something.

#8 itsdigger

itsdigger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

Well, Read this article In It's Entirety , It has the answers about those updates => http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/black-tuesday-toll-microsoft-drops-windows-81-support-xp-hack-still-works-244088

As far as installing 3 distros goes, I had six  distros booting alongside Windows 8.1 no problem, you can load to your hearts content any  amount distro you want easily after Secure Boot it disabled. Just be sure to create a dedicated boot loader.

Digger

#9 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

Don't know what happened to this post, but I'll try it again.  The EFI partition (known as ESP) on my laptop is the dedicated boot loader. It has 300mb in it.  Think that's enough? 

#10 itsdigger

itsdigger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

Yep , your good

Digger

#11 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

I have windows 8.0 now, I reset to factory specs right after I got it, so I should be ok on the laptop.  However, I've got another desktop with 8.1 on, and a lot of other things.  It's still getting updates tho, I just checked.

I'm able to to load any operating system or Distro I want with ease

Were they all 64bit, or did you have some 32 in?  Right now, I have 18 operating systems (Just retired last winter, sort of my new hobby) all but 1,   I goofed on, are 32 bit.  It's the mint I can get to boot with a live disk.  

#12 itsdigger

itsdigger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

I always use 64 bit so I can use the RAM

#13 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

I'm back.  Got busy with other things.  I read the stuff over a few more times.  Turned off secure boot, repartitioned the hard drive.  And When I got to the place to install the boot loader I got the message      

no root file system is defined

Please correct this from the partition menu

OK

My partition table is:     

Partition           File system        Label             Size                  Used             Unused           Flags

/dev/sda1            ntfs                recovery       400,000 mi b    237.53MiB      162.47MiB       hidden,  diag

/Dev/sda2            fat32              ESP              300.00MiB         52.58MiB      247.42MiB        boot

/dev/sda3            unknown                             128.00MiB                  --                  --              msftres

/dev/sda4            ntfs                Gateway        205.08GiB          31.77GiB     173.31GiB        msftdata

/dev/sda7            ext4               swap              3.99GiB             136.30MiB       3.86GiB      

/dev/sda 8             ext4                                    11.72GiB           345.73MiB      11.38GiB

/dev/sda9            ext4                                      10.74GiB           327.61MiB      10.42GiB

/dev/sda10          ext4                                      10.74GiB           327.61MiB      10.42GiB       

/dev/sda11          ext4                                      10.74GiB           327.61MiB      10.42.GiB

/dev/sda12          ext4              home              195.73GiB              3.25GiB      192.48GiB

/dev/sda5            ntfs                                      450.00MiB          308.85MiB      141.15MiB          hidden, diag

/dev/sda6            ntfs        Push button reset    15.76GiB           12.84GiB            2.92GiB          hidden, diag

I gotta learn to take screen shots.  

I try to install the bootloader in sda 2, with the bios set either in UEFI, or legacy.  Those are my only choices, and I've tried both of them twice.  I always get the same message.  What am I missing?  O, I've also tried with secure boot on, 1 time, and off.  Fast start is off.  I know (I think) I need to install the boot in sda 2 labeled ESP, and flagged boot.  Do I need to label sda 8, 9, 10, and 11 somehow for root.  I intend to put 4 distros there.  I'm trying with the 64 bit mint 17 first.    Windows doesn't boot in legacy, only UEFI.

Edited by heyyou325, 20 July 2014 - 05:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users