Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Well, lads, managed to black screen myself, but it it won't POST, either.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

So, I thought I was pure class and elected to edit some stuff about the way my WIndows 7 looks.  The log-on background was first.  No trouble there, quite successful.  Next came the picture frame for the user image on the same screen, which is obviously what's caused my black screen, as I used Resource Hacker and edited the authui.dll file.  Of course, I made copies of that file first.  I edited both the syswow64 and system 32 folders' authui.dll files.
I restarted to see my changes.  It took for ever.  There was a black screen with the cursor for a few minutes, and then it restarted.  It brought me, as no-one is surprised to learn, to that same black screen with the cursor.  No cause for the panic now, as I could simply reboot and use my Hiren's rescue disc to access that HDD and set things right.  But here's where they get you: now it won't POST.  My monitor displays its manufacturer name on the screen, so it works, but *maybe* the signal isn't getting to it?  Pretty odd for both of these problems to happen simultaneously.  Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

Normally when I have similar conditions, I try booting to Safe Mode first.  If that doesn't work, I boot from a Windows repair disc and do a repair.  If I still have a problem, I boot from a Linux Mint or Ubuntu disc.  I've never used a Hiren's rescue disc because the things I mentioned always worked for me, but if it's a stand-alone disc that doesn't depend on using something from your hard drive, I'd wonder about the graphics card.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

Disconnected the HDD and now it posts.  Somehow need to connect it post-posting.  Pun intended.

#4 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

I'm in Mini XP just now.  I'm pretty sure connecting this HDD now'd be pure risky, but probably no-thing awful would happen.

#5 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

Connected the HDD.  I'd forgotten XP has trouble unless you're in ATA mode, so I'll have to disconnect, go into the BIOS settings, and do it all again.  I'm confident I'll have this sorted in a few minutes.

#6 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

It doesn't actually recognise the HDD even after changing to IDE mode in BIOS.  Maybe I've done it wrong?

#7 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

So, now it POSTs with the HDD connected, but Safe Mode and Normal Mode both yield the black screen.  Mini XP now recognises the drive, but tells me I need to format it.  Parted Magic was not recognising the drive before, but neither was Mini XP.  I'll try that again.  I need not to lose the data on this drive.  I was terrified this'd happen, but couldn't back it up as I've been having random restarts and was afraid it would do that during the back-up.  My last back-up is from before I did some fairly important work, but only a month or so ago.

#8 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

The HDD's OS is bootable from the advanced boot menu if I tap F8 repeatedly, and it remembers my C drive's name and some other details that prove my drive is indeed formatted.  I attempted a system restore from earlier yesterday, which was not successful and yielded this error code:
0x80070002
Googling now.

#9 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

I suggest you get away from the Windows backup program and get yourself a good commercial backup program. I've seen forums fraught with problem reports for the Windows one. I know I was very unimpressed when I tried it. Two I'm familiar with and like are Easeus Todo Backup Free, and Memeo which has a 30 day free trial and you can buy it for $29.99.  Both of these will do incremental backups.
  The March 2012 issue of PC World was very high on the FREE program from Easeus and so is CNET.  In my experience with a variety of configurations I have to say I'm very impressed.  Like Ghost (which unfortunately is no longer on the market) it will back up to a networked drive, and it will create a boot CD for when your PC won't boot.  Don't download from CNET unless you want to get malware, but you can see CNET's review of it at
-
 CNET has a lot of backup program reviews at 

Some of these are free (last time I checked there were over 300), some have free trials (over 1000), and some are purchase only (over 200).
-
External hard drives are best for backup. You can get a 500 GB one for around $50 and a 1 TB one for around $50. You can also buy a 32 GB flash drive for under $20.  It's the best insurance you can ever buy!

-
I hope this helps.  Good luck

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#10 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, not the first time I've heard that, but probably the time I won't forget to try it!
I'm in the recovery mode in the advanced boot options, having tried the aforesaid unsuccessful system restore, and after a cmd sfc /scannow.  What I'd love to know is how to access the log if I can't access the desktop.  I've probably only googled it wrong but as yet I don't see it.

Edited by EPDGaffney, 16 July 2014 - 07:26 PM.

#11 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

I'm a bit of a chancer myself, so I restarted in safe mode, risking another black screen and hard shutdown.  But I'm in!  Then I restarted in normal mode.  I can see all my theme alterations are gone, and that's just as well!

So, for any others with a similar problem:
I hit F8 between my BIOS splash screen and any Windows stuff to get into the Advanced Boot Options (so, if you don't see Advanced Boot Options before your normal Windows stuff or your Black Screen, you need to try again).  Then I used Method One from the following tutorial:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139810-sfc-scannow-run-command-prompt-boot.html

But make sure Method Two isn't what you need; read both descriptions.

Then I restarted and all was grand.  Thanks for the help, I'll probably do something else daft and come back.

Edited by EPDGaffney, 16 July 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for letting us know you resolved it...happy computing :).

Louis

#13 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

No bother at-all, Louis.  Thank you for contributing however you do to this fine community.    41979 posts, you must be important here!

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

LOL...no, just a lot of questions, farewells, etc. :).

Louis

#15 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

'A lot' is right.  Good on you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users