Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux - polished, shiny and new! Just like Microsoft!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

Hello Everyone and thank you for joining me on this forum.   I have downloaded numerous versions of Linux from Mint, Debian, Zorin (which I like) to Fedora.  Under the hood I have no doubts about Linux a powerful and highly adapt Operating system but there is one BIG FLAW.  It is so terrible on the eyes and looks like Windows 1!

Linux users are often keen to tell us that Linux empowers us by giving us freedom to make our desktop look like whatever we want but why can't I get it to look nice and shiny just like my Windows 7 OS or close?   Call me a snob but I just cannot look at the bland, depressing folders or the smooth fonts that confront me. Linux users are often keen to tell me "You will get used to it after a while".  They are wrong!

My question:

How can I make a Linux OS look shiny, pleasing on the eye with anti-liaised fonts and the whole works. Is it possible or am I forever stuck with a Model T-Ford when what I want is an Aston Martin?

Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thank you

Jake Shiraz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

"How to make Ubuntu Linux look like Windows 7":

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2028896/how-to-make-ubuntu-linux-look-like-windows-7.html

"How to Make Ubuntu Linux Look Like Windows 7":

http://www.howtogeek.com/55985/how-to-make-ubuntu-linux-look-like-windows-7/

#3 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

May not be too relevant, but go into preferences in Zorin, that's my favorite too, Desktop preferences, and you can put one of your pictures on as wallpaper.  Several programs to give you different wallpaper too, there are normally some on the cheesemaker thread .  You're supposed to be able to set up a slide show, but I haven't figured that one out yet.    File folder doesn't take that much space over your wallpaper on the screen.  I'm just learning these blessed things myself.  Be careful on the cheesemaker thread tho, it's addicting, gives you too many ideas, and in trouble with your wife for trying too many different things.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

How can I make a Linux OS look shiny,

You mean something like this? My Kubuntu.

http://youtu.be/R8JP2r9ZZ3c

That is Kubuntu.
You can add the KDE enviroment to any linux.

Linux Users Have a Choice:8 Linux Desktop Environments

10 Linux file managers worth checking out - TechRepublic

Adding New Fonts to Your System - Linux Mint Community

Compiz Home

Conky - Home

Glx-Dock / Cairo-Dock - Home

That's just a short list f the things you can add to Linux.

Edited by NickAu1, 17 July 2014 - 07:57 PM.

#5 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:16 AM

Hello there Jake Shiraz and welcome to Bleeping Computer. :welcome:  Esp. the Linux & Unix Forums.

I had the same experience; after trying several Live CD’s and DVD's, I decided on Fedora, which I eventually found too cumbersome and not really set up for a noob like myself and then, set my sights on Mint 17 MATE (which I'm running now and have been for several weeks now in a dual-boot environment) and after a few days thought to myself, "meh, this Mint isn't really ringing my bells..."

And then, after I started messing around with the different Desktop Environments - which I did not know about -  *pow*   everything changed for the better.

I'm currently running the LXDE - which is kind of overkill for my current set up - and have been really happy with how I can make my machine look, feel and act.

I've been watching Nick - with great envy, mind you - and am most likely going to try out / test drive the KDE next.

When you mentioned the freedom to make your Desktop look the way you want, this really is true, but will take just a bit more effort than in a Windows environment, because, I think, there are so many more choices.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#6 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

hi Winterland!

Thank you for the input on the forums and it is great to hear your advice.   The thing that has put me off linux, and perhaps others, is the fact it is not so sleek looking.    I think it looks like I will have to stay with Zorin.   I did try Linux Mint but hated it and could not undertand how it got the position of top distro for some time.

Do you find Linux is as fast as Windows (or faster!)?

Best wishes

Jake

#7 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

By the way Nick the desktop does look super cool and super Shiny!   Thank you for providing me with the links which may help me to establish what I am looking for!

Best wishes

Jake

#8 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

On my windows xp machine, zorin 8 lite is way faster.  Still trying to get a windows 8 laptop ready to dual boot with it, so I don't know.  So far out of trying 18 distros , mint included, zorin is my favorite, but I like a lot others too.

#9 ubuzz

ubuzz

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

I have not tried Zorin so I am going to check it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users