Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questionable CPU Temps

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mikehh

Mikehh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

I'm pretty new to the forum, so, excuse any of my errors. I plan to become an avid member as I have been getting more and more into my new custom computer lately. I recently purchased a custom computer from CyberPowerPC (I know, I should have just built it myself, next time) and I upon playing BF3 on max settings I run into some hot temps. Now, I know that BF3 stresses your system but I don't think that the temps should be this high.

CPU- i7 4790k 4.0GHZ (Not OC)

Cooler- Asetek 510LC 120mm, Single Enermax Enlobal Silent High Performance 120MM Fan

I also have 4 other case fans, very large and open case, cool room, and fans on high. 

My cores were as follows- 66,66,74,74 degrees. 74 was my max. I'm about to test again to see if it will get any hotter.

Is my cooler insufficient? Could it be installed incorrectly? Or are these temps normal for a game such as BF3? Should I be worried about playing with these temps for a long period of time?

Sorry for all the questions, I just spent a lot of money on this computer and I plan to take great care of it. Anyone who answers all of these questions deserves a damn award. Thank you

Edit:

I just played again and received temps from 73-79. On the intel site it says that the CPU shuts down at 72.72 degrees. Could my monitoring program be not reading it right? II'm using Open Hardware Monitor, seems reliable.

Edited by Mikehh, 16 July 2014 - 11:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

The temperature specs I've seen for Intel processors are usually in the upper 60s, my I5-2430M is supposed to be under 67.something, so I like to see temps under 70.  You're getting a little above that, but I wouldn't think that's going to cause things to quit working, just possibly shorten the life a little bit.  Intel processors have the ability to throttle the speed when they get too hot, and can shut down if temps get dangerously hot.  Some games do put a lot of load on the processor.  When I've had computers I thought were getting too hot in the past, I've added exhaust fans that blow out through expansion slot spaces on the case.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

You can find the max operating temp or temp range for just about any given CPU...by using the cpu-world.com website.

There is no general upper range by manufacturer...the year of introduction and temperature range varies by processor, not by manufacturer.  A given manufacturer will have varying max temps for its line of processors.

Louis

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

Intel provide "Tcase" maximum figures for their desktop processors.  This is a measurement taken at the heat spreader and my understanding is that it's lower than core temperatures (measurements taken at the cores themselves).  This will be the temperature reported by the BIOS as opposed to the CPU core temperatures measured by programs like CoreTemp, RealTemp etc.

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-033342.htm

As for your temperatures, maybe a bit high for a liquid cooler.  I don't think they are dangerous though, but keep an eye on it.  It's possible that re-fitting it with new thermal paste may improve results.  Some variation across cores seems to be normal.

Edited by jonuk76, 16 July 2014 - 12:44 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users