Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best buy computer. Does it exist?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

Greetings everyone!

I am wanting to purchase a new computer as my old Sony is getting a bit outdated although still a loving friend like my pet cat!

I am presented with a vast array of computers with all different makes, sizes and specifications.  It's wonderful but for a novice like myself mind boggling!

There are a number of similarities I have found:

1. 90% are made in China

2. They either have Intel or AMD as a processor.

3. They have motherboards from a number of manufacturers such as ASUS etc.

The big question.  Are they all the same just wrapped up in another badge or is there a different in quality, reliability etc?

I am not looking at top spec just something for the home with around 1TB hard drive, 6-8GB Memory and either a windows system installed or without I can handle it.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Jake S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

The big question.  Are they all the same just wrapped up in another badge or is there a different in quality, reliability etc?

Is it possible that you've answered your own question? Why do you want a new computer again?

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

There are all do the same job, the differences are mainly cost and performance.  If you spend $300 you get a cheap computer that will work for basic web browsing, but it will have limited upgrade options and won't be good for much more than browsing the web.  Bottom line is that you get what you pay for.

We can be of more assistance if you let us know who you use the computer for and how much you are looking to spend.

#4 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

hello 1PW

thank you for the reply.  The reason I want a new computer is simple.  My Sony is hitting 11 years old has only 1GB of Memory (it copes with basic tasks) but it cannot be upgraded anymore unless a new motherboard is fitted.   It is all expense when it is cheaper and more economical to buy a new one.

Thanks for the input!

Jake S

#5 ubuzz

ubuzz

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

Yeah I would not put any money into upgrade on an 11 year old computer.  

As far as purchasing a new computer you do get what you pay for.  Stick with a major brand and I would not buy the base models.  

This is one reason that I have always been a believer in building my own systems.  I  can hand pick the parts based on other user reviews, product tests, etc.  Building a computer is not for everyone thought.

#6 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

Hi ubuzz!

Thanks for the input.   If I could I would build my own computer but I am a lawyer and it would seem fat too daunting for me!

On another point would you recommend a computer with AMD or INTEL processor?   It is heavily debated which one is the best.  Everyone I have spoken to who builds them tells me AMD fo the job at half the price.  Plus the fact the EU fined Intel for telling lies about the performance of their processors.

Any advice?

Thanks

Jake

#7 ubuzz

ubuzz

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

I have personally built more computers with AMD processors than Intel because of the lower cost.  I have had no issues with AMD processors.  You're right though... this is a heavily debated topic.

#8 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

Hi Ubuzz

Thank you for the reply.   Do you know why people have issues with Apple OS being unable to be used with AMD processors?

Best wishes

#9 ubuzz

ubuzz

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

Hi Ubuzz

Thank you for the reply.   Do you know why people have issues with Apple OS being unable to be used with AMD processors?

Best wishes

Mainly because support for AMD processors was never built into Apple OS's... at least that is what I understand from what I recall.  I have never tried to do it so really can't say more than that.  If you think you intend to run an Apple OS on this system then I would get an Intel processor.

#10 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

Thank you for the help.  Much appreciated.

:thumbsup2:

#11 ubuzz

ubuzz

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

You're welcome.  Have a good day.

#12 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz
  • Topic Starter