Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flashing the bios on motherboard upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

Hello my friends!

I havwe a Sony Vaio and the motherboard Bios has never been "flashed".  I believe the Motherboard is an ASUS (but I can always check).

Could anyone tell me how to flash the bios because I have tried to do it and never been able to get the right information.

I believe the process is:

1. Go to ASUS (or motherboard website) and download the upgrade

2. Put it on a floppy disk (which mine has)

3. Boot computer and take it from there (there was something I saw on Youtube about it)

The only problem is I don't know what stuff to download because on the ASUS website there is so much stuff it's confusing!!   if I get the wrong one I don't want to mess things up.

Any ideas, please?  Anyone have a link that may assist me?

Thank you

Jake Shiraz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

General Rule of Thumb Regarding BIOS Flashes... Unless you are experiencing problems DON'T

On that note however follow this link... http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER&SR=nav:support:electronics:drivers_software:esup

Insert your model #, Select your Operating System and check for BIOS update.

#3 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

This is a high risk endeavor for some one who does not know their computer's model number, motherboard model, nor BIOS revision level and an unspecified issue that only a BIOS upgrade will resolve?

Much in the vein of the "old rocker" post; why exactly do you want to flash the BIOS of your computer?

If successful, what are you absolutely convinced you would have achieved or resolved?

If you "brick" your system, what will you do then?

Yes - these are all tough questions. Please ask yourself why are they being asked of you?

Edited by 1PW, 16 July 2014 - 11:34 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#4 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

Why flash the bios?

I am having trouble with the computer starting up and was informed it may be due to the bios that needs upgrading.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

the only time i have thought about flashing the system BIOS would have been part of a CPU upgrade.

as mentioned above.... this could trash the PC if done without very diligent preparation

please provide details about the adversity experience during boot and start-up , there could be all kinds of problems causing this. the most common is mindless installations of questionable programs that affect the OS  registry by means of automatically wiriting into it without the users knowledge..  

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

Greetings Synergy

I am aware of the dangers of flashing the bios.  The problem is my computer is having trouble powering up.  I have read it is probably the Power Unite BUT have read a faulty or corrupted bios can also cause the problem.

Any ideas please?

Thank you for the help!

Jake S

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:00 AM

a BIOS flash is done when upgrading a CPU. I think you may be thinking about a BIOS reset. those are quite common and generally harmless. i can't remember the exact procedure, there may be instructions just for your motherboard that won't work on others..

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

I think the BIOS flash may not solve your problems.  Before making that attempt however, I would select a factory default rest to clear the BIOS, force the BIOS to load from the firmware and not the FLASH chip.  I have seen flaky operation with random and unrelated failures caused by a bad or failing CMOS battery, replace that just to be sure, they're cheap and last around three years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users