Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start unless power cable is unplugged

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

For some years I have had a problem with my Sony Vaio.  The computer will not start unless the power cable is input for around 10 minutes and then unplugged and inserted.  Sometimes I have to do this on a number of occasions.

The following points are of interest:

1.  When the power is running there is absolutely no problem with the operating system or its functioning.  It downloads and runs perfectly without any screen problems or anything else.

2. I read somewhere that it may be due to the bios (something to do with "power settings") that may cause the problem.

3. I have also heard that it may be due to the Power Supply and button.  However, the button turns on the machine perfectly when the computer has been "charged" for 10 minutes or more.  The cable on the computer is fine.

In addition, would it help to upgrade the bios settings (flash the bios?)

Does anyone have any idea what it is and how it can be fixed?

Thank you everyone!

Jake Shiraz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Please download and run Speccy from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/ .  After running it click File -> Publish snapshot... Copy and paste the link it gives you into your next post.  

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

Hello WPG

Thank you for the input on the forums.   I have done what you requested and got the following link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/WSgjydCazo1kam78NeGprx5

Does that information asist you?

Many thanks

Jake

#4 Ocsi'c

Ocsi'c

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

My first thought is a bad power supply. Have you tried replacing It?

#5 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

Greetings my friend!

Thank you for the input.  I agree that it probably is the power supply but unless I am relatively sure I could replace it only to find out it's not the problem.  As my computer is over 10 years old (I bought it when I was 7 :) the cost adds and adds and it may be better simply getting anothyer computer although I would like to keep it as a backup.

Thank you

Jake

#6 Ocsi'c

Ocsi'c

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

A local repair shop could probably flip in a power supply as a test without having to buy the supply but they would probably expect something for their time (whenever possible become friends with someone who fixes computers for a living, friends often get reduced or free labour, at least all my parasite buddies do :-).

One thing to check with a system that old, that won't cost anything, is the state of the capacitors on the motherboard.If you take the side off the case and look at the mobo do any of the capacitors look swollen (tops bulging) or do they appear to have brownish residue on the top. If so the Mobo is bad and on an old system probably not worth the cost to fix.

Doug

#7 Aussie Shiraz

Aussie Shiraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

Hi Doug

Great to hear from you again.  I believe the motherboard is fine because there are no problems with the computer.  It runs perfectly.  I think it's a question of Memory.  I have only 1GB and cannot upgrade on this motherboard.  Therefore, I accept what I have or upgrade the MB but with a cost.  Assume the MB costs me another $100 it's easier sometimes to throw is away and buy another comp.  As the saying goes "it's false economy".

Thank you

Jake

#8 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hi Jake, I don't see anything in that Speccy report that indicates a cause for what you report, so I'm inclined to agree with Doug about the power supply.  They do lose their capability with time.  Computers are designed to last an average of around 5 years, so at 10 years you've gotten double your money's worth.  

I'll just add that I'd think Windows 7 in 1 GB of DDR ram with a 10 year old processor would have to be awfully slow.  If you plan to keep using it, you might want to consider one of the Linux versions.  Personally I like Linux Mint because it's most like Windows and comes with a nice bunch of software.  You can download it from here:

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php .  If you do that & burn it to a DVD, you can boot the disc and be up and running in 3 min. without having to install anything on your hard drive.  I'd give high odds it'd be a lot faster than Windows 7 on that configuration.

Good luck.

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2014 - 05:02 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users