Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsing ridiculously slow, can't run DDS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Interested

Interested

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

I have had some weird behavior from this system for about 4 months.  Browsing has gotten slower and slower, youtube videos will not play properly (lots of stuttering and skipping), Google's basic page takes 15 or more seconds to load, and the system will sometimes even become unresponsive if you try to go into a more script-heavy site like Facebook.

I will jump to the part where 2 months ago, I did a system restore to a time before the problems started, out of desperation (not a fan of system restore).  Immediate difference, everything was lightning fast, youtube videos smooth as butter, and browsing was quite responsive.

Now, to backtrack.  When I first noticed the problem, I:

1. Ran hard disk scans

2. memtest86

3. checked my BIOS settings to look for changes

4. updated the Marvell network drivers

5. ran tests on my DSL service

6. tested against other devices on the network for differences in speed (other devices had no troubles)

7. Booted in Safe Mode with Networking (no change)

8. Tested Firefox, Chrome, and even IE (which I hadn't opened in eons) - no change

9. Disabled all add-ons in Firefox - no change

10. Created a fresh profile in Firefox - no change

11. Cleared Temp files and the like - no change

12. Cleaned out computer (I do this regularly, anyway)

13. Checked startup entries - they are minimal on my system and all intentional

14. Reviewed services - found nothing unusual

At this point, I was at my wits end.  I tried to run DDS, both in regular mode and safe mode.  The scan would not get past the initial blue screen informing the user about scan times possibly doubling for heavily infected machines.  I let it run overnight.  Nothing.  Tried to run rkill first to see if that would help - no change.  Also shut down ZoneAlarm.

At that point, I ran the system restore, just to see if it would help.  It was like a miracle. As described above.

Then, less than two weeks later, the problem started again.  No patches had been installed, no updates, no hotfixes.  All browsers affected.

At this point, I decided that DDS was not running because of some unusual behavior on my part, that only applies to this one machine (I am otherwise a normally functioning, mentally healthy individual).

1.  I was running Windows XP Pro with SP2.  All other systems I use had SP3, but this one I was hesitant on, as when SP3 first came out it had ZoneAlarm compatibililty issues.  They were since resolved, but by then I had experience with SP3 failing during install on other systems.  Made me nervous.

2.  I had not run any Windows Updates - never had issues, didn't feel the need.  All other systems I use, I update them as updates become available.

3.  I run ZoneAlarm Pro 7 - I've been using it on this system for a long time, and like the old product.  I have seen the new versions on other systems, and do not like them.  This is the only system I use ZA on.  I did disable it, seemed to make no difference.  Also, after System Restore, it was still there, and everything was fast.

4.  I use Daemon Tools Lite - This is where I get the "A HA!".  I do need a CD image mounter, as I have kids who like to scratch disks.  However, I read a thread about DDS locking up, and defogger was mentioned.  Followed the instructions.  Disabled the whole shebang.  Didn't help.  DDS still won't get past initial blue screen as mentioned above.

I also decided to stop being a baby, and I updated to SP3.  Installed all available updates.  Everything was still slow.

Today, I disabled daemon tools using defogger (I had un-defogged) and tried DDS again, as things were down to a crawl, and I was convinced despite the lack of processes showing in Task Manager (very lean setup) that I was suffering from a rootkit or something.  Still won't proceed.

I am at a loss.

My Hardware Setup, in case it helps:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nforce2 Ultra 400 chipset) (latest BIOS)

2GB DDR400, Dual Channel Mode

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB

2 WD Black 1.5TB 7200RPM HDs (not RAID)

I don't think I have a hadware issue, as diagnostics came back clean and System Restore made things fly for more than a week.

Advice would be therapeutic.  Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

Hello Interested

If you cannot get DDS to work, please try this instead.

Please download RSIT by random/random from the link provided for your operating system and save it to your desktop.This tool needs to run while the computer is connected to the Internet. If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding RSIT attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
  • Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
  • Double-click on RSIT.exe to start the program.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Read the disclaimer and click Continue.
  • When the scan is complete, a text file named log.txt will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Another text file named info.txt will open minimized.
  • Save the log files to your desktop and copy/paste the contents of log.txt by highlighting everything and pressing Ctrl+C.
  • After highlighting, right-click, choose Copy and then paste the contents into a new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here.
  • Copies of both log files are automatically saved in the C:\RSIT folder which the tool creates during the scan.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run.

Post that log with your above info here
Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:24 AM

Hello Interested,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/541851/browsing-ridiculously-slow-cant-run-dds/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possibleI advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.  Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users