Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Fresh Install or just find the problem?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zeron824

zeron824

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Hey guys! My Samsung Win7 laptop used to be a very handy laptop for me. However one day, I was watching a YouTube video then paused it. then ate breakfast. When I came back, the whole laptop was frozen. I couldn't move the mouse or type anything. I had to result into forcing it to turn off after waiting for several minutes. When I booted it back up, I got a blue screen! So I went ahead and tried to recover my PC using Samsung's recovery tools, but those seem corrupt also. So I reinstalled Win7 through a USB stick and it worked. However, my PC is not in the top condition it used to be. My sound now often cracks. In times my CPU usage would be so high, that the PC is unusable unless restarted and sometimes I get a blue screen whenever a new driver or something gets installed. I can't even run my games in full speed anymore and loading to get into the games takes a while.

Keep in mind that the whole incident that started the whole mess was one or two years ago.

Now my question is, I know a fresh install would fix it; is there anyway that I can put all of the files that I want to back up on a separate partition on the same HDD or do I really have to transfer all of my stuff over to an external HDD?

Next, is there any way that we can actually just find the problem? I mean I can use my Win7 PC, but it's not in the top condition as it once was.

Thanks for stopping by.

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2014 - 02:35 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

Hi,

You will need an external storage place for anything you want to retain if you go the route of a fresh install. That implies that the HDD will be reformatted. 

What is your installed security program, is it current and have you run any scans? Also, have you run any scans with any of the available, free scanners? I have used the free versions of Malware bytes Antimalware and Super AntiSpyWare as second opinion scanners to compliment my installed active security program. 

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 zeron824

zeron824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

I use Malwarebytes. I have scanned before and nothing was found. I will scan again though.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

If you are using the paid version then you have an active scanner installed. If they are finding nothing then it's time to move you over to the forum where you can get the trained help you need to get your system cleaned of the infection that seems to be present.
Or you can elect to do the reformat and reinstall.
Keep us posted

Edited by dicke, 17 July 2014 - 08:44 AM.

Dick E

#5 zeron824

zeron824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

I scanned again and nothing major was found. I want to get the trained help that you are talking about before I proceed with a reformat and re-installation.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

I'll request a moderator move your thread into the correct forum
Be sure to read and follow the instructions there

Moved - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2014 - 02:36 PM.

Dick E

#7 zeron824

zeron824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

Thanks a lot. Hey guys, is there no help? :(

I would like to add that if I go on Directory Services Mode or any kind of safe mode, my computer is fast. There is a significant speed improvement from when I boot up normally.

#8 zeron824

zeron824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

Sorry for the bumps, but is there really no help? :/

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

If the fresh install was two years ago and you are having problems, I would suggest a reinstall if you have the disk. You can partition the drive to have two partitions but you should back up your files anyways as partitioning can go wrong.

Using a bootable partition manage you can partition the current drive into two separate partitions. You would need to shrink (resize) your Windows partition and then create another partition (data) in the unallocatted space. After the partitioning is done, you would move all your data to the new partition and then delete your 100MB System Reserved Partition and the Windows partition. When you install Windows 7 you would tell it to install it in the unallocatted space. It will automatically create the 100MB System Reserved Partition and the Windows partition, leaving your data partition alone. Here is a guide. I would like to repeat that you should back up all your important data before doing any kind of partition tasks.

I can't say how it would go but there is a utility called All in one repair that may get your computer back to optimal performance.

There is also the chance the problems could be hardware related.

You could start by checking your hard drive using Seatools for Windows to check the HDD.

Then download the bootable iso file of memtest+ to run an test on your memory. Run it for at least 6 passes.

If those pass then you can try All in one repair. If that does not work for you, then do the fresh install. Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users