Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop telling me it cant activate windows but its been running over a month

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jimi076

jimi076

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:11 AM

windows 8.1 was preinstalled on the laptop i bought new (it was actually a demo model) over a month ago and now its suddenly started telling me it cant activate windows right now and to try again later. ive been using it for just over a month now so i'm pretty sure it was already activated and this prob has only just occured. any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

Were you requested to activate the product during your first month usage?

--- I set up someone's Win 8.1 laptop about a month ago and there was a comment that the activation would automatically occur within some period: I told my friend let's activate it now

There is a 25-character key involved and the activation recognized it automatically upon activation 

--- Do you know what your 25 character key is?

I believe that after 30 days you need to contact Microsoft and I think you need to know the 25 character key

--- However, it might make sense to bring the computer back to where you bought it from so they can save you the time of contacting Microsoft, especially is you don't know the 25 character key is

#3 jimi076

jimi076
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:47 AM

Were you requested to activate the product during your first month usage?

--- I set up someone's Win 8.1 laptop about a month ago and there was a comment that the activation would automatically occur within some period: I told my friend let's activate it now

There is a 25-character key involved and the activation recognized it automatically upon activation 

--- Do you know what your 25 character key is?

I believe that after 30 days you need to contact Microsoft and I think you need to know the 25 character key

--- However, it might make sense to bring the computer back to where you bought it from so they can save you the time of contacting Microsoft, especially is you don't know the 25 character key is

cheers larry, im pretty sure it was registered when i bought it coz of being a demo and i dont recall seeing a character key anywhere in the packaging or on the lappy itself. im almost certain it was activated though.

#4 Robert House

Robert House

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:36 AM

Hello, is this resolved?  If not, may I suggest two things?  I frequently must activate and re-activate windows 8.1 because of hardware changes or imagining install on a different computer.

If it isn't resolved, the next time it says you need to activate, try to activate through the microsoft telephone system.  The computer should bring you to the area where that telephone number is located along with the areas to place the numbers the automation telephone line gives to you.  If you can get through all that you should have that nag issue stopped.

If you can't get that far in the telephone automatic registering within the computer you have, then I suggest calling microft support.  Gather up all of the product ID and or keys for windows 8.1 that you have before you call.  If its' within the first 3 months of the initial activation then it is still under warranty for free support and they will do whatever is necessary to get you all whole with that program and its activation.-free.

If it is after the 3 month initial activation then it's a bit more difficult to get it done free, but still they do all they can to help you wih it. 

I just want to put in a good  word on their support there because one time I got into a situation where I was being transferred all over the world from the (extension department) they call 8.1 to the technical department and back.  Seven times.  Finally I asked for a superviser and he stopped the confusion right there and thankfully had the authority to order me a fresh new disk (normally costing over $100.00 retail). Free. So, they really do all they can to get you legally registered, but if all else fails, ask for a supervisor early on. Good day. Rob

#5 jimi076

jimi076
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

cheers rob, ill give em a ring tomorrow.

#6 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

If that doesn't work....I'd take it back to where you bought it and have them reactivate it....being a demo model, most of those are not activated as they're being used as floor models. Like you stated...when purchasing a demo model 9 times out of 10 they should activate it for you but not always.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

It appears to me you do not know the 25 character key

Run www.belarc.com, scroll down to the Software Licenses section

--- If the 25 character key is included, that's the one to use if you want to try to activate it yourself or let Microsoft know what it is if you still need to contact Microsoft

--- If the 25 character key isn't included, it hasn't been activated

--- If things don't go well, follow Bassfishers advice; bring it back to where you purchased the computer

You could get the same information from Speccy if you prefer to do so

#8 amb7247

amb7247

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

Yes, usually if the trial period runs out and if under rare circumstances if the auto activation does not work. A phone-in would be required. It's all computer automated so you would tell or type on the phone the characters you see on the activation process and they would give you a set of codes back which would activate it. I run into this issue often when activating office 2013. Phone activation works every tme.

EDIT: if the laptop is new, it would have a Microsoft Genuine Sticker on the bottom or often under the removable battery. This is the OEM key so sometimes the key that's in the system could be different. Belarc as the other poster mentioned would be used to identify the key currently on the system.

To activate go to start -> right click computer at the button click the link to activate and choose phone option.

Edited by amb7247, 16 July 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

"A phone-in would be required. It's all computer automated so you would tell or type on the phone the characters you see on the activation process and they would give you a set of codes back which would activate it"

I haven't had to contact Microsoft but I'm keeping this information handy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users