Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp Services,

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Merlin's Mom

Merlin's Mom

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 04:04 PM

Hi--

I hope this is the right place to post this question, if not, I'm sorry.
Anyway, I just got a new Compaq computer (my 2nd Dell in 4 years just died, never again, but that's another story)...
and I thought I had found a list here before about which services that are OK to disable. I've poke around on the BC site for almost an hour and can't find anything. I'm probably just looking in the wrong places, but maybe a guide in this section would be a good idea. If anyone could help point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

Compaq Presario SR1803WM
Windows XP Home Service Pack 2

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 30 May 2006 - 07:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 04:26 PM

You may be thinking of Black Viper's site. He's been down for more than a year already, don't know it he will be back or not.

MajorGeeks has some of the info here:
http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:14 PM

The better question is why you want to disable Windows services rather than disable unnecessary startup programs?

Most Windows services have a reason for running (with the exception of Messenger).

What exactly do you want to accomplish?

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:18 PM

Here's a tutorial on windows services, what they do, and if there necessary or not
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

#5 C J.

C J.

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:01 AM

The better question is why you want to disable Windows services rather than disable unnecessary startup programs?

Most Windows services have a reason for running (with the exception of Messenger).

What exactly do you want to accomplish?

Just to add my $.02 worth - I have Black Vipers All Pro_safe.reg file for SP1-&-2. ( Too bad I didn't think to snag his Safe.reg for Home Edition.) Black Vipers approach for shutting off unneeded services was in order to stream line Windows XP. As he pointed out, it makes better sense to accomplish this via the Services.msc snap-in - than messing with MsConfig.

When you remove something by accident with MsConfig, you're "toast" if you didn't do a registry backup at the bare minimum. I don't know if a System restore point - will return a "startup axis " to its last state.

#6 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:44 AM

If you are not sure of the services that u could disable, try not to do it.
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:22 AM

You don't remove anything with msconfig, you just stop the aps from starting when the system starts.

A better program to do this is Startup Inspector because it tells you what ap the dll is connected with so you do not stop necessary aps.
It also doesn't default your computer to start in safe mode as msconfig sometimes does if you aren't careful.

Startup Inspector
And
Startup Monitor (will notify you when any ap tries to enter itself into your startup menu and require your permission for the ap to do so)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:16 AM

You're fine using msconfig in XP to disable startup apps provided it is not related to a running service.
Doing so alters the registry itself (run keys in HKLM\HKCU). It's always best to go to your services first. If there's no startup app that is running as a service, then using msconfig is fine.

Edited by HitSquad, 31 May 2006 - 10:16 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:46 AM

If you have have Spybot S&D installed, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with them disabled. You can always go back and tick any of them to re-enable the startup entry.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:24 PM

Here's a link to a .pdf file that explains which XP services can be disabled from Tech Republic. You may have to join first to download the program. (Free membership) XP Services that can be Disabled. Home page.

It's actually a good idea to disable some services because they have no use on the average computer, like IPSEC, for instance. Many of these things are enterprise-level things that keep track of files on remote computers and so on. It can be dangerous to remove services that you need to keep your computer running, but a good guide explains what each service does and what dependencies there are.

It is not a good idea to use MSCONFIG to routinely disable startup programs. Microsoft has warned against this. It's too easy to affect other programs that are dependent on what you're disabling. This was designed to be a troubleshooting tool to determine what programs are causing a problem, not a control for programs. The best way to go about it is to uninstall programs that you do not want to use, or to use the program's configuration to tell it to not start up at bootup. Programs such as Windows Messenger or Creative's drop-down soundcard controls often have (hidden somewhere in their innards) a way to shut them off at startup.

Here's more on using MSCONFIG.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:56 PM

It should also be noted that msconfig does not allow you to completely remove an entry from the list. To do this you need a cleanup utility or startup manager like MSConfig Cleanup or Autoruns.

#12 Merlin's Mom

Merlin's Mom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for all the info girls and guys......I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:53 PM

Your welcome.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:09 PM

Here's a tutorial on windows services, what they do, and if there necessary or not
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

" Frankly, I don't recommend you change any of the services from the default installation of XP. Yes, you may pick up a tiny performance gain by fiddling with the settings, but it won't be anything substantial. It's just my opinion, but if you are in a situation where these gains are necessary to achieve an increased level of system performance, it would be wiser to upgrade the physical system to one that is adequate to benefit from the XP operating system.........
..... Please Read These Notes Relative To The Services Guide !
- Changing services settings can be just as dangerous as editing the registry."

- from the above link. I agree completely!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users