Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fatal error during Installation while trying to uninstall showinfo.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 signofzeta

signofzeta

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:35 AM

I am trying to delete some programs that require the internet to run, seeing how I disconnected my PC, there is no reason to have these programs installed.

There is this entry in add/remove programs called Showinfo.  It is apparently made by Linksador.

I couldn't find the installer file and the linksador folder in program files has a showinfo subfolder and is empty.   I even enabled show hidden folders to see if any folders were hidden.

Here is the problem.  The ShowInfo entry in add/remove programs is stuck there, and I can't seem to get rid of it.  It is gone everywhere else, except for in add/remove programs.  This has been there for a long time, long before the XP end of support date, and I would like to get rid of it to do some cleanup on my XP machine.

I also checked under regedit,

HIKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

and I couldn't find the entry related to Linksador or ShowInfo.

Because of the end of support, this machine has been offline for a few months now.  If there are any fixes, I do not want to reconnect my PC to the internet.  If I need to download anything off the net, it would most likely be via another computer, which is clean, and transferred with a clean USB drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:51 AM

Give this a try :

Please download and install Revo Uninstaller Free

Double click Revo Uninstaller to run it.
    From the list of programs double click on The Program to remove..(ShowInfo)
    When prompted if you want to uninstall this program, click Yes.
    Be sure the Moderate option is selected then click Next.
    The program will run, If prompted again click Yes
    when the built-in uninstaller is finished click on Next.
    Once the program has searched for leftovers....(be patient here ! ) click Next.
    Check/tick the bolded items Only, then click  DELETE 
    When prompted click on Yes and then on next.   
    put a check on any folders that are found and select delete
    when prompted select yes then on next
    Once done click Finish.

How to use Revo Uninstaller

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#3 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:07 AM

Restarted the PC to see if the ShowInfo entry pops back up, and so far, it is officially gone.

Maybe I should have asked this, but what exactly is Linksador, and what is ShowInfo?  Is it something bad?

Edited by signofzeta, 16 July 2014 - 03:15 AM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:30 AM

Linksador.com's contextual ad network provides laser-targeted ads in front of consumers at their peak moment of interest.

....so an advertising piece of crapware

ShowInfo appears to be a 50/50 call.....some sites call it malware, others call it a trojan...others declare it to be safe

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users