Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Specs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gavinbrown

gavinbrown

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

Im looking to build a new gaming computer. I don't know a lot about computers but I'd like to learn. These are some specs from a forum from 2012(PaulSoaresJr.), are these good specs or should i update some? Im gonna put Windows 8 on it also. Could you guys explain to me what each one does and how it works. Thank you in advance to everyone that responds. ( Ill be playing alot of games on it and i want them to run smooth and very fast.)

CASE: Corsair T600 White
POWER: Corsair Pro Gold AX1200
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
COOLING: Corsair H80 Liquid cooler
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance
VIDEO: eVGA SuperClocked GTX 580 w/1500 MB RAM
HDD1: Samsung 830 128 GB SSD for system drive (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit)
HDD2: 2 TB WD Black Caviar (for programs and games)
HDD3: 2 TB WD Blue (for storage)

MONITOR: ASUS 25" 1080p

KEYBOARD: Logitech G15
MOUSE: Logitech G9x 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:56 AM

That CPU is very old, and you should probably update it to a i7 4770 with a "k", which means unlocked, if you are looking to over-clock. Therefore, a Asus Z87 Pro, which is the new chipset, supports the new Haswell CPU would be a better option as an upgrade, opposed to theh Z68 proposed by your spec. Additionally, your video card in that build is quite old, and depending on your games, you may want to upgrade that to a 760 or 770 or 780, depending on your total budget.

If you can provide a budget, I can look to using similar specs of that build, but with much more newer improvements.

Edited by Ezzah, 16 July 2014 - 06:58 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

I have replaced a few parts with the newest and best in bold (your budget wasn't stated) and explained what they all do.

CASE: Corsair T600 White - This holds all the components.

POWER: Corsair Pro Gold AX1200 - Supplies power.

MOBO: ASUS Z97-PRO LGA 1150 - Motherboards connect all other hardware together so they can communicate with each other.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k - CPU = Central Processing Unit, consider this the brain of the machine, it passes instructions between other components and does computational work.

COOLING: Corsair H80 Liquid cooler - cools the cpu.

RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance -  Random Access Memory, RAM holds bits of data for as long as they are needed by running programs or holds them until they are moved to permanent storage (hard drives or ssd's). When power goes out, all data held by ram is lost. This is often called volatile memory.

VIDEO: EVGA 06G-P4-3787-KR GeForce GTX 780 6GB - Graphics Processing Unit, this does Graphics processing and work well in parallel, cpu's do not work in parallel processing so CPU's are bad for 3d gaming and rendering. GPU's are very important for running modern games.

HDD1: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB for system drive (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) - SSD's are much faster than hard drives and have lower latency which means everything is accessed faster and loads faster which is why they are great for your operating systems. They have limited write cycles so they are not good for things like caching, or recording FRAPS on. This is called non-volatile memory because after a power loss data is still available. The 2 hard drives below are also non-volatile memory.

HDD2: 2 TB WD Black Caviar (for programs and games) - Hard drive, best cost per GB of storage space. They are not as fast as SSD's but work great for storing files.
HDD3: 2 TB WD Blue (for storage) - The blue version is a bit slower than the black version but otherwise is nearly the same.

MONITOR: ASUS 25" 1080p - Displays a picture.

Edited by zingo156, 16 July 2014 - 07:32 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

I have replaced a few parts with the newest and best in bold (your budget wasn't stated) and explained what they all do.

CASE: Corsair T600 White - This holds all the components.

POWER: Corsair Pro Gold AX1200 - Supplies power.

MOBO: ASUS Z97-PRO LGA 1150 - Motherboards connect all other hardware together so they can communicate with each other.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k - CPU = Central Processing Unit, consider this the brain of the machine, it passes instructions between other components and does computational work.

COOLING: Corsair H80 Liquid cooler - cools the cpu.

RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance -  Random Access Memory, RAM holds bits of data for as long as they are needed by running programs or holds them until they are moved to permanent storage (hard drives or ssd's). When power goes out, all data held by ram is lost. This is often called volatile memory.

VIDEO: EVGA 06G-P4-3787-KR GeForce GTX 780 6GB - Graphics Processing Unit, this does Graphics processing and work well in parallel, cpu's are not efficient with parallel processing so CPU's are bad for 3d gaming and rendering. GPU's are very important for running modern games.

HDD1: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB for system drive (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) - SSD's are much faster than hard drives and have lower latency which means everything is accessed faster and loads faster which is why they are great for your operating systems. They have limited write cycles so they are not good for things like caching, or recording FRAPS on. This is called non-volatile memory because after a power loss data is still available. The 2 hard drives below are also non-volatile memory.

HDD2: 2 TB WD Black Caviar (for programs and games) - Hard drive, best cost per GB of storage space. They are not as fast as SSD's but work great for storing files.
HDD3: 2 TB WD Blue (for storage) - The blue version is a bit slower than the black version but otherwise is nearly the same.

MONITOR: ASUS 25" 1080p - Displays a picture.

Very nice and concise. Only difference, I see with my post is whe i7 4790k. Not quite sure he wants unlocked or locked. :3 Nor the budget is known.

mYIGVc5.png

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

Yeah, you posted good suggestions.

The 4790k is the refresh of the 4770k, they were both the same price the last time I checked. It has a higher base clock speed and it may or may not overclock better, I am still waiting for enough statistics to determine OC capabilities.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 gavinbrown

gavinbrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

Wow thank you everyone who responded. I don't really have a budget right now, i just want it to be very fast and smooth. All the information you guys posted helped alot. Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users